• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Second hand filter help

Flapper2k

I've recently acquired an aqua manta efx 200 filter from a friend who was clearing his shed, it's all in good working order as I've tested it by running it on a bucket of water.

This has been in a friend's shed for around a year, how do I sterilise it to make it as safe as I can for use in my tank?

Thanks for any advice :thumbup:

Use only new filter media. Give all parts baskets etc a good soak in warm water brushing off any residue. Make sure you give the impeller and chamber a good clean cotton buds toothbrush.Welcome to UKAPS

Use only new filter media

Im not sure what media is in your filter. But things like ceramic rings or plastic media won't degrade in such a short time. Fair enough change the sponges if they're manky but IMHO not all media needs replacing.

Two contradictory answers to the same question. Is this helping :)

Paraguay, I'm happy to be corrected. Why would you replace all the media?

Thank you all for your advice, I'm going to replace the sponges with my current sponges from my all pond solutions cheapy canister filter that I currently have as I already have established bacteria there, also gives me a chance to purchase some cut yourself sponge ready while the bacteria colonise the ceramic media but I also have some seachem matrix which I will also mix in.

Once again thank you all for your helpful advice and taking the time to answer :thumbup:

Great filter. I have the 300 model. I actually fill it full of crushed pumice :shh:

I certainly hope so, it looks much easier to maintain with a lot more room for my media :clap:

Agree with what has already been said.
Best thing to use is a smell test if you really want to be sure.
If you can the faintest amount of sulfur. That should be thrown out and replaced.

Sponges can be soaked in hot water or pressure washed. If you are just replacing them, dont worry.

The bio rings just need a good rinse and good to go. I use a colander and just agitate them vigorously while under the faucet.

These are very good filters and were always a popular buy in the maidenhead aquatics I worked at.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back