• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Auto doser bottles - air tight?

Sammy Islam

Hey everyone, just having some random thoughts about my auto doser bottles. They are just generic 1L opaque bottles that i've drilled a hole in the cap and put in the doser tube.

1) does the micros bottle need to be air tight so the iron doesnt react with oxygen? Currently the tubing is not a tight fit, but it's not majorly loose either.
2) should i use black tubing or tape up my micros dosing tube to prevent the room light/aquarium light from degrading micros?

Might be over thinking it, but i feel like these things may make a difference? :lol:

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just having some random thoughts about my auto doser bottles. They are just generic 1L opaque bottles that i've drilled a hole in the cap and put in the doser tube.

1) does the micros bottle need to be air tight so the iron doesnt react with oxygen? Currently the tubing is not a tight fit, but it's not majorly loose either.
2) should i use black tubing or tape up my micros dosing tube to prevent the room light/aquarium light from degrading micros?

Might be over thinking it, but i feel like these things may make a difference? :lol:

Yeah, you need a way for air to get in as you draw liquid out, otherwise the container will implode! :eek:

I have clear tubing on my micro's currently, but I've already bought some black tubing to swap it out for exactly the reason you mention, so you're not on your own with the OCD-overthinking! :lol:

Yeah, you need a way for air to get in as you draw liquid out, otherwise the container will implode! :eek:

I have clear tubing on my micro's currently, but I've already bought some black tubing to swap it out for exactly the reason you mention, so you're not on your own with the OCD-overthinking! :lol:

Thanks air can definitely get in, but i was also under the impression the iron could oxidate degrading it? Is that one of the reasons why it is advised not to make up massive batches?

I'm thinking to tape my tube as i can't be bothered to reattach a new one. My dosing tubes are basically next to my light and the tube looks almost red even though my solution is light brown.

Thanks air can definitely get in, but i was also under the impression the iron could oxidate degrading it? Is that one of the reasons why it is advised not to make up massive batches?
Hi @Sammy Islam no matter how you'll try it, there will be always some oxygen around, either dissolved in the water you've used to mix the ferts, or in the space between the cap and liquid surface in the bottle. But making small batches is definitely a good option, I personally make Fe and PO4 liquids in amounts lasting for approx a month (in opaque bottles).

Back