• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Scape Ever!

Sid.scapes

Hey folks,
I've finally finished scaping my first ever hardscape. It'd be awesome to hear your suggestions and tips on how to make it better.
This is 55l Dennerle Scappers Tank.
I'm yet to add the sand and few smaller stones.

I hope I'm posting under the correct category, if not please let me know.

Thanks !

Sid
ee3bed99dda4d490ee758f875eab25bf.jpg

Hi siddy for me your sudstrate looks far too high at the front and not high enough at the back if you slant it back to front helps to give depth to the tank and I'm guessing the sand area is the front right corner with the sudstrate so high you will never stop it mixing and it will do your head in

The stones look to placed around the trunk try and move them to give them a more natural look

Hi,

I agree with Jay. Move the soil back to give you a slope. This will create more depth.

you’ll need more stones in the beach area. A couple more to make the transition to the wood more ‘joined up’.

move the wood more to the right as you look at it, it’ll make it easier to plant on the right. Even twist it so that it overhangs or pints towards the beach.

hope that helps!

Hi siddy for me your sudstrate looks far too high at the front and not high enough at the back if you slant it back to front helps to give depth to the tank and I'm guessing the sand area is the front right corner with the sudstrate so high you will never stop it mixing and it will do your head in

The stones look to placed around the trunk try and move them to give them a more natural look

Thank you, I'll work on that. The placement of rock was mainly to show off their best sides but I'll try to rearrange that as well.

Hi,

I agree with Jay. Move the soil back to give you a slope. This will create more depth.

you’ll need more stones in the beach area. A couple more to make the transition to the wood more ‘joined up’.

move the wood more to the right as you look at it, it’ll make it easier to plant on the right. Even twist it so that it overhangs or pints towards the beach.

hope that helps!

Gotcha! I'll work on it.

Still think you could take that front sudstrate down a little maybe by a quarter just push it to the back slope it you will see the difference it will make

I preferred the wood/stones without the small ring of rocks - which look very unnatural - they will also be soon lost among any plants (so don’t really understand their attraction)
The rounded stones placed between the more jagged (interesting) stone and the wood, are again confusing - how did they appear/occur in this context (aside from being flung by a catapult ... :oops: too much Outlander)

Same goes for those back corner stones which will be quickly lost in planting - note I’m assuming from the wood and other details, you’re not planning an Iwagumi scape, hence my assumptions of taller midground and background plants

There is a current vogue to create aesthetically stunning hardscapes - only to have many of these details lost through plants, and then further absented by stem (over)growth (lack of trimming and shaping, which obviously require practise ... and intent)

I suggest taking detailed photos (and discrete labelling of stones ... depending ;)) and removing all the hardscape
Then adjust the substrate slope - note this will flatten in water (vs air perception) and through gravity and filter flow currents (camera aspect also flattens the appearance)
Now begin playing with wood positions (as it’s the most dominant aspect in your scape)
Then add main stones
Etc

Also, once flooded, the effects of the rounded edges will be more significant re perception

Hey, if you’re planning to
have sand in that
bay-like area,
refrain ya.
Cos the black
aqua-soil will topple
bit by bit, like invading
ants they will soon colonise.

Back