• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter hoses kitchen cupboard HELP

Tucker90

Wanting to put an external filter in a kitchen cupboard.

Trying to figure out the best way to route the hoses. Don’t mind cutting holes in the door, just want it near and tidy. Also will need to open and close the door.

Any ideas?

Extremely crude and awful picture of tank on the end of the island showing when I want the hoses

577bd5aa90c319cd51b5b7956c9f2c12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Tucker90 Ave you got another pic that shows what the rest of the unit is like around the tank?

Drilling holes seems pretty extreme! Is there not an option on the other side ?

If I were drilling the holes I'd probably choose to drill the door as it will be a lot easier to replace if you ever want to undo it.

The kitchen is getting replaced later this year. Hence the not worried about drilling a door.

The wire grommets were an option but when opening the door I still fear it’ll pull the hoses

Will get pictures later

2d7f554cf85804baea46387cee577895.jpg

Photo from decoration. My house isn’t normally that untidy! The other side is more units

You could cut the door down fixing the cut off to take the hoses and just have slightly smaller door hinged to the fixed piece

Do not think we would start drilling your worktop or doors !

A simpler , hidden and more correctable solution - assuming that wall is a stud partition, though it could work with brick -

Looks like you have some Upstand behind the tank, so literally just above that , but behind the tank, cut out the plaster and fit a Dry Lining Patress which should have some holes in its bottom allowing the pipes and cables to run down the inside of the wall and then drill a hole in the cupboards end so you get everything inside it.

Use a blanking plate with cable and pipe holes in it to make a neat job.

If you change your mind and move the tank elsewhere you just need to fit a new undrilled blanking plate to make it look neat, though a bit of careful plaster board repair should completely restore things.

000105.jpg

Do not think we would start drilling your worktop or doors !

A simpler , hidden and more correctable solution - assuming that wall is a stud partition, though it could work with brick -

Looks like you have some Upstand behind the tank, so literally just above that , but behind the tank, cut out the plaster and fit a Dry Lining Patress which should have some holes in its bottom allowing the pipes and cables to run down the inside of the wall and then drill a hole in the cupboards end so you get everything inside it.

Use a blanking plate with cable and pipe holes in it to make a neat job.

If you change your mind and move the tank elsewhere you just need to fit a new undrilled blanking plate to make it look neat, though a bit of careful plaster board repair should completely restore things.

View attachment 132513

I was going to suggest the same idea and that's what I would do myself. I would use one of these cable management covers to hide the hole in the wall.

catimagewiregrom-gif.gif

Thanks guys, I should add that I actually have a spare door for the cupboard in question, and after this pandemic we’ll be putting a new kitchen in anyway.

This will be one of very few things that will entertain me while this s**ts going on!

So imo it’s worth it!

I'd drill the worktop. I did just that for my new 45cm cube a few weeks ago. Will post some pics later. Seems extreme but figured I could always put something over them at a later date if I needed to (kettle, toaster, scales or something) and then you wouldn't see them

Not sure why do you want to do it. I am concerned with DIY external hoses that can come off and make a mess You can filter your tank with internal or HOB filters without external hoses.

I don’t think drilling the worktop is that extreme to be honest as long as it’s done carefully. Should you ever not need them a couple of nice blinking plugs for the holes needn’t look bad. Cutting holes in the doors is not a good look in my opinion but it’s your call.

The reason I suggested cut the door and drill filter holes for hoses on the fixed off cut is because accidental opening of the door for maintenance of filter tugging the hose causing a leak :( also if wanted take the filter out without a hose clean so much easier can leave the hoses in situ. Drilling worktops no big deal and often done but could be awkward for hose cleaning. Sure you will sort it:)

Back