• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EA glass skimmer inlet - HELP

Sammy Islam

Hey peeps,

I did a maintenance session on sunday and ever since my EA glass skimmer inlet has been bobbing up and down, it's really doing my nut in now.

The filter is clean, the prefilter is clean, glass ware was done a week ago too. I have no idea what is causing it, it's never done it this much before. I've had the occasional bouncing but it usually sorts itself out, certainly doesn't do it continuously for days. I've bodged it right now using a couple cm of co2 tubing placed under the "hat", but no idea how i'm going to sort it out so it works again like normal.

Thanks

It can be a randomly occurring issue. I suffer the same sometimes, usually because the filter is drawing too much water after a good clean. Sometimes it does it if a leaf gets stuck on the lower inlet thus drawing more from the surface. If you have the option to run the filter at less flow try that. I’m presuming you have fully opened the bottom flow adjuster on the lily pipe itself so it is drawing most water from the lower part of the pipe rather than the top skim section?

It can be a randomly occurring issue. I suffer the same sometimes, usually because the filter is drawing too much water after a good clean. Sometimes it does it if a leaf gets stuck on the lower inlet thus drawing more from the surface. If you have the option to run the filter at less flow try that. I’m presuming you have fully opened the bottom flow adjuster on the lily pipe itself so it is drawing most water from the lower part of the pipe rather than the top skim section?

So random that it won't stop, getting on my nerves seeing as it's been doing it for 2 days especially now we are at home self isolating. :banghead::lol:

I have the bottom bit completely open, so running the minimal amount of skimming as possible. It just seems to start spinning and bobbing up and down, doesn't seem to get sucked down fully which is even weirder! I might have to take it all apart and clean it again. Hopefully it works! :lol:

Sounds strange but maybe close the bottom section slightly to give a slight draw from the top which may offer enough resistance to stop the bouncing. I sometimes have to play about with mine to get it just right.
Out of curiosity you don’t have two sets of the glassware do you? If you do, try the other plastic skimmer section on the glassware you have on the tank.

Sounds strange but maybe close the bottom section slightly to give a slight draw from the top which may offer enough resistance to stop the bouncing. I sometimes have to play about with mine to get it just right.
Out of curiosity you don’t have two sets of the glassware do you? If you do, try the other plastic skimmer section on the glassware you have on the tank.

Don't have a spare set yet, will try closing it off a tiny bit. If that doesn't help ill try take it apart, maybe that co2 tubing will help it sort itself out.

Every time I give the filter a good clean I almost have to fine tune the inlet pipe starting with it fully open and turning the bottom a little at a time till.the whole thing settles down i find its trail and error with them

Every time I give the filter a good clean I almost have to fine tune the inlet pipe starting with it fully open and turning the bottom a little at a time till.the whole thing settles down i find its trail and error with them

I did all the filter maintenance last week and it has been working great in general, it's been like 3 months. It did seem to bob up and down some times during the first month but has been working solidly since.

The weird thing was it was doing to continuously for 2 days without being sucked in fully, normally it will bounce for 1min and sorts itself out or would get sucked down fully. It also spins more than general which is even weirder! :banghead:

I will do it again if it begins to bounce again. Just removed the co2 tubing and it seems to have stabilised, for now :lol: so random!

Back