• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Excess Amazon Frogbit - throw it in the pond?!

About 10 days ago I received 10 plantlets of Amazon Frogbit from an eBay seller. I’ve made a corral using a length of airline to keep it in one area of my 20 litre nano tank.

I’m beginning to get a bit scared by this plant’s growth rate. Every plantlet has produced at least one new leaf in the last week, and most have another new leaf coming. I can also see more than one new daughter plantlet on the end of a runner, one of which has managed to breach the corral.

There will come a time soon when I need to start culling it, and was just wondering if it would survive and grow in my pond once the weather has warmed up a bit more?

By the way, are the dark brown markings normal?

Picture taken a couple of days ago:

F2CC9D26-546E-4463-BB9D-D04EDDE4D7F9.jpeg

Thanks folks!

Yes, I assume I need to wait for proper summer. If I need to evict some of it before then, I might try growing it in a container of fertilised water in the greenhouse.

Yep been chucking my excess salvinia into the pond. And also drying it out to make into shrimp food.
Plus the pup likes it.

Not having a pond, I like the sound of turning excess salvinia into shrimp food Pardeep but I wouldn't know where to start.

Not having a pond, I like the sound of turning excess salvinia into shrimp food Pardeep but I wouldn't know where to start.

Its very Easy. I just dry it out in a tray, leave it alone and forget.
Then mix in with Agar jelly and spread onto a pebble. chuck it in and let them eat till the pebble is clean.
You can also mix it into the Repashy Mix and spread on Pebbles/Stones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
Thanks folks!

Yes, I assume I need to wait for proper summer. If I need to evict some of it before then, I might try growing it in a container of fertilised water in the greenhouse.
That is what I do with my spare spare plants. Normally I just drop any extras off at an LFS, but obviously that is an option at the moment.

cheers Darrel

Back