• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do the three hardness levels mean

BarryH

Just been checking the hardness of my water (Severn Trent in Derbyshire) and see there are three listings for hardness, Clark, French and German.

Anyone help with the reason we have three different parameters listed?

Hi all,
<"They are just different units">.

The English one is "Clark", but we usually use the German unit. Lenntech offer <"a convertor">.

One dH is "One degree German" and defined as 10 milligrams of calcium oxide (CaO) per litre of water. This is equivalent to 17.85 milligrams of calcium carbonate per litre of water, or 17.85 ppm.

These are from the very useful <"Krib Water hardness article">

It is the same amount of CaCO3 for both dKH or dGH.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
<"They are just different units">.

The English one is "Clark", but we usually use the German unit. Lenntech offer <"a convertor">.

One dH is "One degree German" and defined as 10 milligrams of calcium oxide (CaO) per litre of water. This is equivalent to 17.85 milligrams of calcium carbonate per litre of water, or 17.85 ppm.

These are from the very useful <"Krib Water hardness article">

It is the same amount of CaCO3 for both dKH or dGH.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel. Severn Trent's reading for my area is 6.80 German which more or less agrees with the reading I get out of tap.

We use German degrees because the first readily-available, easy-to-use test kits aimed at aquarists were made in Germany. Water companies give that figure mainly for our benefit.
Plumbers and washing machine engineers use Clark (=English) degrees because they always have, it's for them that the water companies give that figure.
I don't know who uses the French degrees, - apart from the French I suppose.

Back