• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar 1200sa or Fluval Fresh & Plant Pro 2.0

Keetchy

So I'm close to buying myself the 1200sa from AG but thought would have a look around to see whats available. I found someone selling a Fluval Fresh & Plant Pro 2.0 2nd hand on another site.

I couldn't see the lumen rating of the fluval so the only difference I can see between the 2 is the colour difference. Twinstar 6500 and Fluval 7500

The Twinstar brand new is £550 or the Fluval 2nd hand with wifi controller included is £150

Is the Twinstar that much better than the Fluval that its worth paying the extra £400 for

Lumens is just how “bright” it appears, PAR and PUR is what matters but that’s rarely info that’s shared by the manufacturer.

The S2 Pro is the dimmer I have and believe the one they sell in AG. It’s also available on eBay. Shouldn’t be hard to get online, but not sure on the shipping restrictions by you at the moment.
Way2top Fish Tank Aquarium LED Light,Intelligent Timing Dimming System, Modulator Lighting Controller (S2-PRO) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M89N8MH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5vuGEbZDF93NG

Lumens is just how “bright” it appears, PAR and PUR is what matters but that’s rarely info that’s shared by the manufacturer.

The S2 Pro is the dimmer I have and believe the one they sell in AG. It’s also available on eBay. Shouldn’t be hard to get online, but not sure on the shipping restrictions by you at the moment.
Way2top Fish Tank Aquarium LED Light,Intelligent Timing Dimming System, Modulator Lighting Controller (S2-PRO) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M89N8MH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5vuGEbZDF93NG
But isnt it the brighter the light, the higher the PAR will be?
Yeah I looked on ebay and Amazon and all the listings for an S2 controller say estimated delivery could be in May. AG will also probably have their stock regenerated in May too so it'll be no better getting it from Ebay or Amazon :(

But isnt it the brighter the light, the higher the PAR will be?

No not necessarily. For instance, grow lights that are heavy in the blue and red spectrum have good PAR and PUR for growing plants, however when you look at those lights with the human eye it’s “dim” and not very pleasing to the eye. Hope that makes sense, I’m no expert by any means but I do know that lumens is not a measure to go by for how powerful the light is for growing plants.

Ah brilliant. Thanks Jay. I'll get them ordered now then and then hopefully AG still has the twinstar in stock

No not necessarily. For instance, grow lights that are heavy in the blue and red spectrum have good PAR and PUR for growing plants, however when you look at those lights with the human eye it’s “dim” and not very pleasing to the eye. Hope that makes sense, I’m no expert by any means but I do know that lumens is not a measure to go by for how powerful the light is for growing plants.
Ah right gotcha. Lights dont come advertised with the PAR ratings on them do they? I suppose it determines what depth the tank is aswell right? I think just to be safe, I'll go with the brand new 1200sa instead of the 2nd hand Fluval. Even though the fluval would've saved me loads of dollar :cool:

I can’t speak for the fluval, but my Twinstar is quite powerful. Unfortunately with lighting in this hobby, the more expensive models tend to have better output and a more pleasing spectrum. But I’ll admit the options are painfully limiting. Twinstar I think is the most reasonable and effective light in its class. You could also opt for the chihiros, it’s apparently the Twinstars budget version. Someone else with experience could chime in on that as I’m not 100% sure

Hi mark.have you considered the vivid wrgb by chirios I know you would need 2 works out about the same with the brackets but a few people hear awear by how strong they are just an idea £251 each off alli Express but I think cause it's a island and the light is so powerful you could get one then add another later I dont know just food for thought mate

I can’t speak for the fluval, but my Twinstar is quite powerful. Unfortunately with lighting in this hobby, the more expensive models tend to have better output and a more pleasing spectrum. But I’ll admit the options are painfully limiting. Twinstar I think is the most reasonable and effective light in its class. You could also opt for the chihiros, it’s apparently the Twinstars budget version. Someone else with experience could chime in on that as I’m not 100% sure
Thanks bud. I mean the Twinstar is what AG go for on their tanks. Ok they might be pricey but as you say, most of the decent ones out there are pricey.

Hi mark.have you considered the vivid wrgb by chirios I know you would need 2 works out about the same with the brackets but a few people hear awear by how strong they are just an idea £251 each off alli Express but I think cause it's a island and the light is so powerful you could get one then add another later I dont know just food for thought mate
Thanks Jay. Only problem with that option is I dont like hanging lights :rolleyes: Not only dont I like them but we're in a rented flat so drilling into the ceiling is a bit of a no go area bud :thumbdown: Plus I've kind of already ordered the Twinstar and controller off Dave now. Hopefully be with us by end of next week :D The misses is gonna freak out. Would have got away with it but she's home for the next 3 weeks now so she'll see me opening it up :eek::eek:

Back