• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Floating foreground plants

Conort2

Hi,

I recently purchased some new plants and am having issues in trying to get them to stay put! The plants in question are 1-2 grow Monte Carlo and rotala h’ra. I plant nice and deep however the next morning half are floating. The issue is I have a hoard of shrimp and a large group of corydoras, plus a few khuli loaches.

Is there anything I can do to help them stay put whilst they throw down new roots are am I going to be banging my head against a brick wall due to the bloody fish!

cheers

conor

For bigger plants with some body take some super glue (Cyanoacrylate) and a small river pebble or a small piece of lava rock, glue it to the roots of the plant and stick it gently into the substrate or leave it on the substrate. The roots will find their way.

Once the plant is sufficiently rooted after a few weeks or months you can take the pebble away again if its in view.

For tiny plants such as Montecarlo and or HC (baby tears) it could be difficult if you have used a too lightweight substrate such as very fine-grained sand. For example, i did read a lot of such complaints from people using JBL Sansibar... This is such fine and light substrate causing problems with keeping the plants down. I would say that's the wrong choice than either substrate or plant choice. And you are in for a treat.

This is why it’s best to let your plants grow in for the first month or two whilst awaiting for the tank to fully cycle before adding bottom feeder fauna.

Zozo’s superglue idea is the best, albeit tedious.

Less tedious is to cull your bottom feeders.

Less less tedious is to lower your plant expectations and make do without them.

Your tank, your call mate.

This is why it’s best to let your plants grow in for the first month or two whilst awaiting for the tank to fully cycle before adding bottom feeder fauna.

Zozo’s superglue idea is the best, albeit tedious.

Less tedious is to cull your bottom feeders.

Less less tedious is to lower your plant expectations and make do without them.

Your tank, your call mate.
Tanks been set up for years so no chance of that happening unfortunately and certainly no chance of culling the bottom feeders lol! Anyone want any corydoras ha??

I think you’re right and I may have to lower my expectations. Some of the Monte Carlo is holding so hopefully that spreads. I’ve bought some of those stick on glass planters in the hope of allowing the plants to grow abit larger before trying to replant in the bottom of the aquarium. I’m thinking rather than doing what I’ve done and normally do which is split the plant into very small plugs I may have been better planting in larger clumps and tried pinning down the something instead, anyone tried this?

I’ve got tropica soil in there which is pretty lightweight compared to say gravel so I may be fighting a losing battle here. Let’s see who gives in first me or the fish, I’m guessing it’ll be me!

cheers

Conor

Back