• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What plant to use in non co2 set up?

DD1880

I recently set up a 9 gallon fluval flex using uns controsoil and cosmetic sand. I have Ludwigia acruta as the stem plant, the inclinata just melted on me. I also have crypt parva, anubius nana petite and java fern. The left and right sides are looking empty now since the inclinata melted so I would like to add another stem plant that will thrive in this set up. Something very green or very red! I won’t be adding co2 and I dose a all in one liquid fert once or twice a week. Any suggestions on a hardy low to medium light plant that will do well? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• EB2A409D-28A4-479D-808F-6F415BF49450.jpeg
    EB2A409D-28A4-479D-808F-6F415BF49450.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 263
  • 920D2359-73E1-4CD8-BA05-FD3679C2CBE9.jpeg
    920D2359-73E1-4CD8-BA05-FD3679C2CBE9.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 859E4D1E-BFE6-4FB2-B8F1-82263C655E8E.jpeg
    859E4D1E-BFE6-4FB2-B8F1-82263C655E8E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 132
Hi all,
Something very green
go with the narrow leaf Ludwigia!
<"Hygrophila corymbosa"> is fine low tech, has broader leaves and is green. <"Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'"> has a narrower leaf, but it more likely to go bronzy near the stem tips.

I think "very red" might be a lot more difficult low tech.

I'm a great fan of Cryptocoryne spp. so <"Cryptocoryne x willisii">? Nice and green, but not very big? or C. wendtii "Green" or "Green Gecko", a bit bigger, but easy and still green?

cheers Darrel

Hi all, <"Hygrophila corymbosa"> is fine low tech, has broader leaves and is green. <"Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'"> has a narrower leaf, but it more likely to go bronzy near the stem tips.

I think "very red" might be a lot more difficult low tech.

I'm a great fan of Cryptocoryne spp. so <"Cryptocoryne x willisii">? Nice and green, but not very big? or C. wendtii "Green" or "Green Gecko", a bit bigger, but easy and still green?

cheers Darrel
Those are good options thanks! What about Ludwigia palastrias? And is there any way to stop the old leaves from falling off when I first put the plant in? I lost a lot of the bottom leaves from the narrow leaf Ludwigia when I first added it! Was hoping that didn’t happen again when I added a new stem plant! Thanks for the help!

you could add some Hydrophylla Taiwan they are growing really fast in my lowtech tank and have a really nice vivid green to them i use Tropica premium fert once a week after water change and daily dose of liquid co2 and they are doing great im amazed how fast they seem to be shooting up and outwards and some of the leaves are getting quite big :)
this is just after a week and a half from one of those growpots
IMG_20200420_205500.jpg

you could add some Hydrophylla Taiwan they are growing really fast in my lowtech tank and have a really nice vivid green to them i use Tropica premium fert once a week after water change and daily dose of liquid co2 and they are doing great im amazed how fast they seem to be shooting up and outwards and some of the leaves are getting quite big :)
this is just after a week and a half from one of those growpots View attachment 133722
Those look very nice. How tall do they get? I don’t plan on dosing liquid nitrogen like excel so hope they grow that well without it. What do you have them planted in? Thanks

Those look very nice. How tall do they get? I don’t plan on dosing liquid nitrogen like excel so hope they grow that well without it. What do you have them planted in? Thanks
not sure how tall they grow like i said they have only been inthe tank just over a week and a half and they were out of those tropica pots so quite small But pics on internet seem quite tall ones. and to be fair they seemed to be growing well even before i put some liquid co2 in so i think you should be good.. i have them planted in some Tropica aqarium soil.and there is a very thin layer of playsand underneath that.

not sure how tall they grow like i said they have only been inthe tank just over a week and a half and they were out of those tropica pots so quite small But pics on internet seem quite tall ones. and to be fair they seemed to be growing well even before i put some liquid co2 in so i think you should be good.. i have them planted in some Tropica aqarium soil.and there is a very thin layer of playsand underneath that.
Ok thanks. I might try those!

what type of light are you using and how
bright? Thanks for the info.

Back