• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae id

Hi, just wondering if anyone is able to help with iding the algae in the video?

Is it hair algae or spirogyra or something else entirely? I have had a look at James's algae guide but i am having trouble trying to tell the different algaes apart.

Hi all,
Is it hair algae or spirogyra or something else entirely? I have had a look at James's algae guide but i am having trouble trying to tell the different algaes apart.
It is a green thread algae, the exact identification would probably require you to put a <"strand under the microscope">.

The "Green Algae" (Spirogyra, Cladophora spp etc.) belong to the <"same clade as all the mosses, ferns and flowering plants">, so conditions that favour the growth of your plants tend to favour the growth of these green algae as well.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It is a green thread algae, the exact identification would probably require you to put a <"strand under the microscope">.

The "Green Algae" (Spirogyra, Cladophora spp etc.) belong to the <"same clade as all the mosses, ferns and flowering plants">, so conditions that favour the growth of your plants tend to favour the growth of these green algae as well.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for that Darrel.
I was hoping for an id so i look into how to treat it properly, cheers for your help.

Jason

Back