• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which stem plant would be better to use!?

DD1880

I have a scape set up with narrow leaf Ludwigia as the only stem plant right now. I had Ludwigia inclinata but it recently all melted. I would like to add another easy stem plant that doesn’t need co2 injection to go in the far right and left corner of the tank. I was going between limnophila hippuridoides, Rotala indica, or maybe siamesis 53b? Any help would be appreciated to pick a good stem plant that won’t need co2 to grow well or high light! Thank you for any info! The tank is a fluval flex 9 gallon!

Attachments

• E6B8DF65-1679-4D92-8749-F94214C34662.jpeg
    E6B8DF65-1679-4D92-8749-F94214C34662.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 298
  • A62F3958-6E3C-4C09-B270-D6B811C8E1B4.jpeg
    A62F3958-6E3C-4C09-B270-D6B811C8E1B4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 119
  • 1BCD085A-7D79-468A-974E-896690EC645E.jpeg
    1BCD085A-7D79-468A-974E-896690EC645E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
I agree on 53B or their cousin Hygrophila Polysperma and Hygrophila Polysperma "Sunset"if you want some added colour. Micranthemum micranthemoides is also easy to grow and creates nice groups.

53B all the way.
Thank you for the help with the decision! Now hopefully the lfs has it. Never ordered plants online!

View attachment 134015
I'm a fan of the other cousin! Hygro corymbosa Thailand, i like the dark coloured stems against the green leaves :)
Thanks! That’s a nice looking plant! Now to find it by me. Never ordered online and kind of nervous about getting quality plants that’ll service in the mail! Haha

I agree on 53B or their cousin Hygrophila Polysperma and Hygrophila Polysperma "Sunset"if you want some added colour. Micranthemum micranthemoides is also easy to grow and creates nice groups.
Thank you! I will definitely look into those! I was kinda leaning towards those! Just hope it’ll do good in the lower light corners of the tank. The flex’s light doesn’t have the best distribution throughout the tank! Nice looking light though. Just needs to be wider!

What is 53b?

I have Hygro polysperma Sunset that grows well and one rare stem that gets full bottoms in my medium light tank. If you have strong light it will turn red but mine only gets touch of pink on top near light. Another easy stem that does well In my medium light tank is Brazilian pennywort, which gets full top and bottom. I also have Ludwigia narrow leaf that does OK but the bottom tends to be thin and bare and not much red due to light deficiency.

53B is a good choice but there are others like Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia palustris, and although not a stem plant maybe give Vallis some consideration. Take a look at Tropica's Easy Plant Range for others.

53B is a good choice but there are others like Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia palustris, and although not a stem plant maybe give Vallis some consideration. Take a look at Tropica's Easy Plant Range for others.
Thank you Tim. You’ve been a great help before in some suggestions on my other posts before I did my first scape! I would love palustris but I haven’t seen it at my lfs and not sure about online buying and who would provide healthy plants! I would love to get some Tropica plants but I live in Chicago in the states and haven’t seen Tropica at my lfs! Thanks again for the info!

What is 53b?

I have Hygro polysperma Sunset that grows well and one rare stem that gets full bottoms in my medium light tank. If you have strong light it will turn red but mine only gets touch of pink on top near light. Another easy stem that does well In my medium light tank is Brazilian pennywort, which gets full top and bottom. I also have Ludwigia narrow leaf that does OK but the bottom tends to be thin and bare and not much red due to light deficiency.
I have low light with Co2 in my flex 57 litre. I trimmed it up and it’s growing lovely already. It’s highest plant in pic below (in background)

I ordered all my plants online from Tropica dealer

View attachment 134028
Beautiful plants and tank! I would rather not have to get co2 to get that look but I probably will eventually. Just not now and not with this tank! I have seen a lot of non co2 tank with great plant growth! Like for instance George farmers low tech fluval flex has beautiful plant growth. Wish I had half the success that he had but I’ve just started with plants and he has a lil more experience then me haha! I just can’t keep the bottom half of the stems to keep there leaves! I’m guessing it’s because the light isn’t reaching down to the lower leaves but if I raise the light I keep getting this green algae on the glass in the front right and left corners! Very frustrating since I thought with using uns controsoil and the all in one liquid fert I dose would be enough to keep the plants healthy! The tanks been running for 2-3 months! I live in Chicago in the states and not sure if I can get Tropica plants where I live that would survive the trip!

What is 53b?

Hygrophila Siamensis 53b

Thank you Tim! Do you think Rotala green would work in the right and left corners? I like the green that it gets! Or does it look like it wouldn’t get enough light?

Thanks I would like to try 53b but I’ve never seen it at my lfs! They always have Rotala indica and narrow leaf Ludwigia. I’ve never ordered plants online and don’t know a good seller that would deliver healthy plants to Chicago! I really like Ludwigia palastris but I’ve never seen it at my lfs! They had Ludwigia inclinata that I bought when I set up the scape but it has all melted! Don’t know if it needs co2 or more light that it couldn’t get in that corner! It did look beautiful and very red for a lil bit haha!

I would always give it a go, especially if you like it. But perhaps R. rotundifolia would be a better bet low-energy. I've struggled to tell them apart in the past, and it'd probably stay green in low light anyway.

I would always give it a go, especially if you like it. But perhaps R. rotundifolia would be a better bet low-energy. I've struggled to tell them apart in the past, and it'd probably stay green in low light anyway.
Thanks! I do like the amount of leaves on the stem but was worried about how easily they fall off! Was hesitant thinking my betta would knock a lot off swimming in between them and he likes to wedge himself in between the plants and sleep on the leaves! I didn’t know if the lfs was labeling it wrong since indica some times is a generalization of Rotalas? I want a plant that compliments and goes well with the Ludwigia acruta but doesn’t look to similar! I know I’m probably making this a bigger decision that it has to be but want it to look perfect since I had to take the wood out and the plants are the focal point now! Thank you for all your help!

Back