• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini M Iwagumi - New final (again) photo

igirisujin

Between Japan (Kyushu) and the UK (East Anglia)
Hello :) My 25cm is still running and will continue for another month or so, but I've been hardscaping for a few weeks now and couldn't bear it sitting empty any longer. Sooo, I decided on a dry start. I've been taking photos during the hardscaping and setup, so I'll upload in several sections. For now, here's the tank :) It's an ADA Mini M (36cm) from the lfs (not so local), and a bag of Aquasoil.

IMG_5763.jpg

I wanted to do an Iwagumi layout this time, but honestly the hardscape available in the local shops is not great. There are not many good hardscape shops in the south of Japan - particularly ones that stock rocks - so I went to the beach to see what was available. It was pointed out to me last time I mentioned it that it might not be legal to collect my own rocks, but I have been assured since that as long as it's not a national park or protected area, it's not a problem.

Anyway, I found some I liked, took them home and cleaned them up.

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5393.JPG

This time, I didn't want to make the same mistake as before with hardscape. My current tank's hardscape is very unstable and therefore a nightmare to clean! This time it will be solid. Rock solid :rolleyes:

I found some aquarium-safe silicone at the supermarket/DIY place, began sticking some rocks together and left them overnight to set.

IMG_9837.jpg
IMG_6006.jpg
IMG_9024.jpg

Siliconed hardscape pieces arranged in tank. I put a mat underneath this time to try to avoid scratching up the base of the tank. The rock positioning would be further adjusted and a couple more smaller ones added later.

Another issue I have with the current tank is that the substrate slips forwards through the rocks and mixes with the sand. This time I used filter media and silicone to plug all the gaps between the rocks to try to prevent slippage as much as possible - especially down the sides and centre of the layout.

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg
IMG_5881.jpg

Here's the hardscape with ADA Aquasoil and powder top layer (cheaper brand leftovers, not ADA) in place. The shadow directly under the main stone concerns me a little, but I'll see if anything grows there. I didn't really want to include any Anubias, mosses or anything like that, but I might if other plants struggle in the shade.

I tried to angle the rocks carefully, using shadows to create separation between them - something I picked up from the Josh Sim talk video at Green Aqua. Hopefully it will help with depth when planted and filled.

3.jpg

After starting a thread on here and doing lots of research online, I decided to go with the ONF Flat Nano +.

Good decision.

Although I love the look of the ADA Aquasky G, the LED colour just isn't good enough to compete these days (I saw some in person in local shops) and the tanks look washed out. The power can't be adjusted either, and the app control was appealing to me.

The ONF really does seem great. Easy to operate, fantastic plant colouration (tried on my 25cm) and I love the way it slowly transitions up and down. More expensive than the ADA o_O, but I think it was the right choice.

IMG_6332.jpg
IMG_6333.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg

As for plants, I wanted to try Monte Carlo for the first time. The local shop here didn't know it, but managed to order it for me through ADA. Here, the ADA plants are about half the price of Tropica. The 4 pots I used here were about £6 each.

I'm gonna do this as a dry-start as the 25cm is still using the filter and CO2 that I'll transfer over to this tank. Hopefully after a month or so, the 25cm will be ready, and the plants in the Mini M will have put down some roots :)

IMG_6441.jpg

Here's the full tank shot straight after planting. I've never done a dry start before, so I hope it all works!!

IMG_6442 2.jpg

That's looking excellent, good job.

I also noticed the wabi kusa in your first pic, do you have any pics and info on it? :)

That's looking excellent, good job.

I also noticed the wabi kusa in your first pic, do you have any pics and info on it? :)

Yeah, that's a little Do!Aqua bowl I bought about 3 years ago and had sitting around. When I set up the 25cm my wife also wanted to make something, so I gave her the bowl and leftover plants to use. Although, just like her goldfish tank, I'm the one looking after it!! :rolleyes: Plants are just some Hydrocotyle, Rotala and Crypts. Soil is leftover cheap-brand 'aquasoil' and ADA La Plata Sand.

I let it get a little too dry recently though, so honestly it's not in the best condition. It's a little unkempt now, too.

I'd love to try one of those new DOOA shallow cubes, but... budgets and all that. Even in Japan, those cubes are more expensive than the small ADA tanks!

She might kill me if she sees I used the 'pyjama shot'...

IMG_5061.jpg
IMG_6452.jpg
IMG_6453.jpg
IMG_6454.jpg
IMG_6455.jpg
30F31A76-9DB3-47E5-8DEF-5010E827831C.JPG

Yeah, that's a little Do!Aqua bowl I bought about 3 years ago and had sitting around. When I set up the 25cm my wife also wanted to make something, so I gave her the bowl and leftover plants to use. Although, just like her goldfish tank, I'm the one looking after it!! :rolleyes: Plants are just some Hydrocotyle, Rotala and Crypts. Soil is leftover cheap-brand 'aquasoil' and ADA La Plata Sand.

I let it get a little too dry recently though, so honestly it's not in the best condition. It's a little unkempt now, too.

I'd love to try one of those new DOOA shallow cubes, but... budgets and all that. Even in Japan, those cubes are more expensive than the small ADA tanks!

She might kill me if she sees I used the 'pyjama shot'...

View attachment 148554View attachment 148548View attachment 148549View attachment 148550View attachment 148551View attachment 148553

Thanks for the info! It's a shame the do!aqua glass isn't available anymore :(

Did you keep the wabi in a level of water, or just damp substrate?

I treated myself for my birthday to one of the Dooa you mentioned, the 30x12x8 I think it is, arriving next week. Going to be a challenge to scape it I think, but we'll see what happens!

Did you keep the wabi in a level of water, or just damp substrate?

Just damp substrate. Just enough water to see the sand sparkle, and then the occasional misting.

I treated myself for my birthday to one of the Dooa you mentioned, the 30x12x8 I think it is, arriving next week. Going to be a challenge to scape it I think, but we'll see what happens!

Slightly jealous :p

Just damp substrate. Just enough water to see the sand sparkle, and then the occasional misting.

Its good to see the rotala, I'll deffo need to try it emersed :)

Slightly jealous :p

Well, I hope it turns out to be worth it! I did hesitate as i do find the dooa to be expensive for me, I just won't mention it to the gf 😂

Love the mini m scape. The hardscape is very nice and it looks great planted too. Will look forward to seeing the progression.
Cheerio,

Very nice mate, I love the green carpet, goes really well with your stones.;)

that ONF is great for green tones.:)

Back