• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Hi mort

My worry with that solution, is that Id be gluing vertically, with the glue flowing down and giving an ugly/weak joint. It really needs to be done horizontally, and there is no way Im manipulating this tank, its 250kgs even when empty!

Ive had that happen when I was practising before the beast. Maybe someone out there can do it right vertically, but its beyond my capabilities.

Fil

I can't really tell how big the problem area is from the picture. I was just estimating it's a few inches so guessing that even with a less than perfect seal you would still be adding plenty of new support to brace that area but like I say I'm not an acrylic guy so probably best to ignore me:lol:

Looking at it again, how about "gluing" say a 20mm square bar piece of acrylic bar on the inside corner of the failing seam, a reinforcing bar. Quick look on an auction site 1 meter of 20x20mm bar will cost about £8.

Not sure your brass inserts would work well unless you could guarantee the inserts are extremely well attached.

I have seen before someone recovering "poor" acrylic joints by drilling 1mm holes into the joint (along the joint from the outside) and injecting glue to complete the joint.

Just some more ideas.

Also consider the previous post about building a dam around the corner so you can get dry access to the joint. Most silicones do not stick well to acrylic, but can be used temporarily to seal and hold things, so a temporary dam from a curved sheet of acrylic could be used, held in place with silicone.

Looking at it again, how about "gluing" say a 20mm square bar piece of acrylic bar on the inside corner of the failing seam, a reinforcing bar. Quick look on an auction site 1 meter of 20x20mm bar will cost about £8.

Ive too many worries about this option, Ill try other things first.

I have seen before someone recovering "poor" acrylic joints by drilling 1mm holes into the joint (along the joint from the outside) and injecting glue to complete the joint.

Just some more ideas.

There is an interesting one!

Not sure your brass inserts would work well unless you could guarantee the inserts are extremely well attached.

Found out that there are companies which design brass inserts specifically for "pull out" strength, for thermoplastics. Im confident I will get a good grip by heat sinking them in. Waiting to get their opinion

Fil

Good morning!

Im just doing my weekly 50% water change, and noticed that there is very little new algea growth this week.
Plants look fine, and where there is usually a bunch of green dust algea on the acrylic, there is very little today.

Im not complaining! But usually Ive a lot more algea to deal with, which made me think as to why this week is different.

Id say they only change this week was a 2 days lights out mid week. I did this when half draining and resealing the acrylic. Didnt want the lights running when the sump and co2 setup were disconnected.

This made me think.
Ive done proper blackouts before, and I know they batter algea way more that the plants, so usually used as a "cure". But what about scheduling a day of "no lights" every week as a prophylactic? Has anyone ever done that?

Fil

That is all...

received_229079501643950.jpeg

I got 100 cardinals and 20 angels. I will send some pics once I get some good ones.

Finally found a solution I am happy with to small fish falling into the sump.
Just bent the stainless steel meshes to fit... cant believe it took me this long...
They just slip up for cleaning

20200420_082948.jpg

very gentle heat to dry the IPA and try the diluted Tensol 12 (or your equivalent solvent) to get it to wick into the joints.

To get you guys up to date, I ended up using Ian siggestion and wicked in extra solvent. It wicked in a flash, i taped the outside edge with lekky tape to slow down the evaporation of the water thin cement.
I then waited several weeks for it all to harden before tentatively taking the ratchet strap off.
Its been off for aprox 3 weeks, and the joint remains unchanged! Yippee!!!

I will keep my eye on it, and leave the other more invasive suggestions in my back pocket.

Absolutely loving my angels, and cannot wait for the 100 cardinals to mature.

I also have plans to rescape the front of the tank, scalling back the moss operation, and adding more crypts as carpetting.

The fun never stops.
Stay safe, and enjoy the hobby peeps!

Fil

Attachments

• 20200422_173319.jpg
    20200422_173319.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
The fissidens plains/mounds look really cool. It'd be cool to see you do a scape utilizing a whole ton of a those fissidens mats. Almost like a grassland, but instead of grass it would be this moss :)

To get you guys up to date, I ended up using Ian siggestion and wicked in extra solvent. It wicked in a flash, i taped the outside edge with lekky tape to slow down the evaporation of the water thin cement.
I then waited several weeks for it all to harden before tentatively taking the ratchet strap off.
Its been off for aprox 3 weeks, and the joint remains unchanged! Yippee!!!

I will keep my eye on it, and leave the other more invasive suggestions in my back pocket.

The fun never stops.
Stay safe, and enjoy the hobby peeps!

Fil

This project keeps amazing me from the start...
You must be a man with nerves of steel!!.. :nailbiting: Great job :thumbup:

Still can’t believe how big the plants grow in here, mental.

And as for the repair, you have some balls lol. That’s a serious amount of water!

cheers

Conor

Still can’t believe how big the plants grow in here, mental.

I know others have had the same or even bigger success with cordifulius. So not unique here, but I do have a lot of them :D

And as for the repair, you have some balls lol

You must be a man with nerves of steel!!.

Balls of Steel... I miss watching that show...
I havent got any, from what I know acrylic gives you plenty of warning before going, and even then it tends to leak instead of failing catastrophically. This is why I chose it over glass in the first place.
The rest is blissfull ignorance, it helps! :D

Fil

That's some serious trimming going on! I'm looking for some trident it you have going?

Back