• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Congo Swamp Monster (750l biotope)

I had two pairs of Hemichromis sp ‘Moanda’. I now have 2 pairs and 40 3/4” babies. This is supposedly one of the more peaceful jewels, but the parents protected a full 6-7 foot of tank length quite happily, they and the cloud of babies cruised around the tank leaving a foot or so of ‘fish soup’ at one end and a lot of fish cowering in the shallows at the other.

It was amazing...

They didn’t actually kill much, luckily. I had a bunch of jumpers and they murdered all but one of my Microctenopoma, but all the tetras survived.

Current shape of the swamp monster. Regaining its swampiness after the rescape.

fdaawF3.jpg

Current stocklist:

About 20 Hemichromis sp Moanda. 3 adults, 17 babies. This is the 5th group of babies. They are machines.
2 Pelvicachromis subocellatus ‘Matadi’. They have also bred in the tank.
3 Tetraodon schoutedeni
Phenacogrammus deheyni
Phenacogrammus aurantiacus
Phenacogrammus interrupus
Bathyaethiops breuseghemi
Plataplochilus sp.
Mayombe
Poropanchax luxophthalmus
Microctenopoma ansorgii
Microsynodontis batesii

I think that is it...

You've got some nice fish over there. Plata's are great fish. Do they combine well with M. ansorgii?

Are any of your fish shy at all? Westies are sometimes a weird bunch. They either stay out in the open all the time or hide away whenever someone gets close to the tank.

You've got some nice fish over there. Plata's are great fish. Do they combine well with M. ansorgii?

Are any of your fish shy at all? Westies are sometimes a weird bunch. They either stay out in the open all the time or hide away whenever someone gets close to the tank.

Thanks. I love Plataplochilus! One of my favourite fish! Beautiful and constantly active. I’ve not seen any problems with the ansorgii. The ansorgii have big problems with the Hemichromis, who seems to recognise them as fry predators and are super aggressive when they see them. To be fair my 3 ansorgii constantly have bulging tummies when there are baby jewels around, so it is not unjustified.

My fish aren’t particularly shy. The Tetraodon like to be right at the front of the tank and actively like people! They get hand fed bloodworm, my sis, mussels, cockles and prawns...The Bathyaethiops, lampeyes, Phenacogrammus deheyni and interruptus are always out. The P. aurantiacus and Hemichromis definitely a touch shyer but usually visible. The Pelvicachromis are quite shy and the catfish seen once a month max!

Amazing tank - I don't know how I managed to miss this journal!

What filters etc are you running on the tank? Are all the filter outlets on thew right end, and all filter inlets on the left end? Even though its a massive length you still seem to be achieving good flow.

Amazing tank - I don't know how I managed to miss this journal!

What filters etc are you running on the tank? Are all the filter outlets on thew right end, and all filter inlets on the left end? Even though its a massive length you still seem to be achieving good flow.

Thanks!

There are two JBL e1901 externals on the tank. The inlets are in the back corners and the outlets cross over and are further into the tank. I also have two maxxspect gyre pumps at each end of the tank. They run at about 50% and have masses of power...

Thanks. I love Plataplochilus! One of my favourite fish! Beautiful and constantly active. I’ve not seen any problems with the ansorgii. The ansorgii have big problems with the Hemichromis, who seems to recognise them as fry predators and are super aggressive when they see them. To be fair my 3 ansorgii constantly have bulging tummies when there are baby jewels around, so it is not unjustified.

My fish aren’t particularly shy. The Tetraodon like to be right at the front of the tank and actively like people! They get hand fed bloodworm, my sis, mussels, cockles and prawns...The Bathyaethiops, lampeyes, Phenacogrammus deheyni and interruptus are always out. The P. aurantiacus and Hemichromis definitely a touch shyer but usually visible. The Pelvicachromis are quite shy and the catfish seen once a month max!

Thanks. Might have a go with M. ansorgii and Plata's some time then. A friend of mine breeds them and loads of other lampeyes. Tanks are fully stocked for now, though, so it'll have to wait.

I would expect some of your other fish to be easily startled, but not Pelvicachromis. They are normally rather bold.

My fish here are quite the opposite. I have Congochromis, who behave in a similar manner (they breed as such too, they're like aquatic rabbits!) and are always around and about. P. aurantiacus and N. unitaeniatus are different though, they can be quite shy.

They're moving to another tank soon, maybe things will change then. I'm going to sell the Congochromis though, they quickly overpopulate the tank, even predators lurking around every corner.

Love your tank btw. I'd love to set up something like your first drawing, combining two microbiotopes in one tank.

Thanks. Might have a go with M. ansorgii and Plata's some time then. A friend of mine breeds them and loads of other lampeyes. Tanks are fully stocked for now, though, so it'll have to wait.

I would expect some of your other fish to be easily startled, but not Pelvicachromis. They are normally rather bold.

My fish here are quite the opposite. I have Congochromis, who behave in a similar manner (they breed as such too, they're like aquatic rabbits!) and are always around and about. P. aurantiacus and N. unitaeniatus are different though, they can be quite shy.

They're moving to another tank soon, maybe things will change then. I'm going to sell the Congochromis though, they quickly overpopulate the tank, even predators lurking around every corner.

Love your tank btw. I'd love to set up something like your first drawing, combining two microbiotopes in one tank.

Congochromis have never done really well for me, even before the Hemichromis were in the tank. always shy to the point that I wasn’t sure they were getting enough food...

358DF6F2-0603-48EE-90D2-10A74947F412.jpeg

Full tank shot. I’m in the process of taking out the biggest piece of work (under the left hand edge of the TV) and moving the wood on the far left over to the same place. This should leave much more swimming space in the tank and I think give a much stronger design.
Any thoughts welcome!

And here are some recent photos of some of my favourite fish in the tank:

I think a male /female pair of Tetraodon schoutedeni. Very fat female behind..

View attachment 150610

Lovely fish, they're hard to sex - assuming they're fully matured (1 year) the male generally has a longer snout - colouration varies fish to fish. I think you're right on this one, but you won't know until they spawn. Did you get them both at the same time? What size were they when you got them?

They were probably 3cm when I got them. Now probably 4cm. The main reason I think these two are a pair (I also have a 3rd) is that the slightly larger, greyer one has developed a very far abdomen, so I think she is gravid. Others have suggested that body shape, more contrasting colours and the shape of the head are sex difference and these two show all of those differences.

Back