• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Calling all plant experts for my new hardscape

frenchaquaman

Seedling
Hello,

Here's my new hardscape. I'm looking for plant suggestions.

I'm pretty set on using rotala rotundofolia, Rotala H'ra in the background. With some Proserpinaca palustris in the middle to break the color with another tint. I might be missing some green though?

Otherwise, I'm stuck with what plants to use in the midground, right now I'm thinking of:

Staurogyne repens mixed in with Alternanthera reineckii 'mini', & Eriocaulon King Crimson mixed in with Eriocaulon Hainan Island.

As you can see in the hardscape, on the right there's lots of rooms, but near the wooden structure I would need a plant that can fit within the crack of the wood. Maybe the reineckii?

I'M OPEN TO ANY PLANT SUGGESTIONS AS WELL :cool:

IMG_7134.jpg
plant selection new .001.jpeg

Hi all,
Welcome
I'm pretty set on using rotala rotundofolia, Rotala H'ra in the background. With some Proserpinaca palustris in the middle to break the color with another tint. I might be missing some green though?

Otherwise, I'm stuck with what plants to use in the midground, right now I'm thinking of:

Staurogyne repens mixed in with Alternanthera reineckii 'mini', & Eriocaulon King Crimson mixed in with Eriocaulon Hainan Island.
How hard is your water? and do you re-scape all the time, or will this be a long term scape?

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
WelcomeHow hard is your water? and do you re-scape all the time, or will this be a long term scape?

cheers Darrel

Hey! Water is quite hard around 140-150ppm. long term scape, just want to trim and plant heavily from the beginning

Hey! Water is quite hard around 140-150ppm. long term scape, just want to trim and plant heavily from the beginning
I wouldn’t fancy your chances with the eriocaulon in the hard water, they’re ones that prefer a soft water tank. Maybe try blyxa as an alternative? Not sure if that’d get too big for what you want?

All the others should do fine and will look good together.

cheers

I wouldn’t fancy your chances with the eriocaulon in the hard water, they’re ones that prefer a soft water tank. Maybe try blyxa as an alternative? Not sure if that’d get too big for what you want?

All the others should do fine and will look good together.

cheers

Yes good call, don't want to risk it with those, 20$ a crow haha.

Do you have any other suggestions otherwise? I'm not a plant expert so this will be my first attempt.

Yes good call, don't want to risk it with those, 20$ a crow haha.

Do you have any other suggestions otherwise? I'm not a plant expert so this will be my first attempt.
Not too sure if there is anything too similar, maybe the blyxa I mentioned. I believe there is one eriocaulon which is doable in harder water, think it is sp Vietnam. Have a look of that and see what you think, probably the colour of sp Hainan with the form of crimson king.

cheers

conor

Back