• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problem with anubias

On start up it’s only ever been an issue for the first three weeks personally. In that time I just get in there and siphon it out. Bucket and hose then refill the tank. Only really messes up slow growers; anubius, buce, mosses, liverworts.... if left to completely cover them. Would imagine it chokes the plant, which begins to break down, giving the fungus something to feed on.

If being really quick about it, just knocking it off leaves etc when draining the tank would be efficient.

Others will tell you it can do no harm and will disappear on its own.
Need to get smaller gravel vacuum, the one I'm using at the moment 1 min and half a little tank is empty, not enough time to catch most of it out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Need to get smaller gravel vacuum
I just use a piece of 12/16 aquarium hose, with some coarse netting (or a filter intake strainer etc) over the business end.

Start it by sucking on the end of the pipe, and directing the water flow into a bowl or used milk carton etc. I use a milk carton and then it is easy to control the flow under gravity with one hand (by moving the carton up and down), while directing the suction end with the other hand.

If you have a fairly long piece of hose it reduces the amount of water you drink, but you need to make sure that it isn't so long that you can't start the syphon.

I've never owned a gravel syphon, and it is a long time since I had a tank with a substrate that I could syphon, and even longer since I thought that disturbing the substrate was a good idea. I've syphoned the water change water out of the tanks in this way since the 1970s, and I haven't died, or developed any <"zoonotic diseases">, so I'm working on the theory that it isn't that dangerous.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I use a milk carton and then it is easy to control the flow under gravity with one hand (by moving the carton up and down), while directing the suction end with the other hand.
If you hook your finger through the handle you can put your thumb inside the neck. When your attention is focussed inside the tank a wet thumb will tell you when the milk carton is getting full and it's time to stop before it overflows.

Any pic of this custom made vacuums? also this thread has gone way of topic now ;)

Back