• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Section off Floaters without affecting flow or aesthetics

jameson_uk

I have some redroot floaters in my tank which have started doing surprisingly well. They didn't do to well to start with but I added some to my shrimp tank and it has grown pretty well in there. Once it had critical mass I now seem to have a decent amount of plants in the main tank. The problem I have is that it invariably gets sucked under the frogbit and then starts to rot or just gets squished by the flow. I have tried floating air hose which works to an extent but still isn't great and eventually frogbit gets in there and the redroot ends up under it

I have been thinking about somehow sectioning off part of the tank (probably the front corners) but trying to figure out what I could use that wouldn't particularly upset the flow and look of the tank. I was originally just thinking of some sort of curved clear plastic or glass but this would mess up the flow and once any flow that did get round it would probably just squish the plants back against it as it came back from the tank glass.

I wasn't sure about something like a floating bowl. I know an ice cream container would work but this would effectively be a separate tank and also look well um, like a floating ice cream container :rolleyes:

Another idea I had was taking a round transparent plastic container and cutting it into slices but not sure if this would just look like bits of plastic floating in the tank...

Any suggestions on something I could do that wouldn't looks too bad?

This is some of the redroot floaters after I restarted the filter and saving it is starting to become a bit of a chore....
MVIMG_20200610_115616.jpg

Would 3mm perspex float? I have seen some perspex domes on eBay which I could drill into to allow water flow. Would this float though (it is 3mm perspex)?
s-l1600.jpg

Can't really help with your idea but red root floaters sink even when on their own. Each new generation tends to grow over the last and the older parts sink and get pulled down by the flow. The only way I've found to keep them neat is to keep them thinly and remove the older growth when they start getting longer.

I used Gutter Guard from poundland. Its rubber and attached to suction cups for christmas lights. And it worked great. They grew into a thick mat and flowered. and Pearl Gourami nested in them,

Salvinia 1.jpg

Salvinia 2.jpg

I cut the piece to size, and attached to the corners. You cant see it once the plants fill in the area like above

Mine looks nothing like that!
Interestingly in my shrimp tank which doesn't have much flow it doesn't get sucked under anywhere near as much (hence why I was thinking about effectively creating a low flow area for it). I guess the gutter guard keeps it in the right place but doesn't particularly affect flow? What is the flow like in your tank?

This is some that is in a band of airline where I have used some larger frogbit as a baffle which works ok but isn't great.
15405661877df70ca1427e973c3112bd.jpg

This is on the other side of the tank which doesn't have flow from the spray bar
1302ec87a936bceff0eb03c71afde065.jpg

I keep my phyllanthus on the pillow of eleocharis (which is actually much denser than can be seen on the image) and limnobium is anchored between sessiflora - everything stays in place (but the flow from my spraybar is rather low). And it actually looks really nice when everything multiplies there - this image is taken after massive trim/removal etc.

20200611_150059.jpg

Make an air tube floating barrier or ring to contain the floaters.

Make an air tube floating barrier or ring to contain the floaters.
I have done this but it doesn't really work. The flow means the redroot gets squished against the furthest part of tubing. The frogbit always manages to get in with the redroot too.

Would 3mm perspex float? I have seen some perspex domes on eBay which I could drill into to allow water flow. Would this float though (it is 3mm perspex)?
Perspex is denser than water, so if you drill the top of the dome it will sink. If you drill near the edges so it still holds air it should float, but would probably tend to tip over easily.
Are those domes cheap enough to experiment with? Have you got a link?

How was it configured? Was there much flow at the surface? Was the outlet on the opposite side of the tank to the floaters?

It was standard spray bar setup along the back of the tank, and the flow did hit the floaters though did not sway them about too much. Once the matt of them was thick enough they were not affected by the flow. I did add Hydro Japan to it as well, to help fill it out.

Are those domes cheap enough to experiment with? Have you got a link?
Borderline. I have ordered a 10cm one for £7.79 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-PE...HEMISPHERES-50mm-700mm-DIAMETERS/163332659704)

Figured I could try and suspend it with some cotton thread or perhaps try and float it on something.
Will see how long it takes to get here and I will give it a go.

I am also looking at getting some acrylic sheet and trying to bend it. Thin acrylic seems to be out of stock everywhere (it is almost like they want to use it for PPE :rolleyes:)

I must admit the easiest way I've found to keep it is like witcher does above and have it sit on some vigorous planting. In my case I use guppy grass but interested to see how you get on with your ideas.

I am also looking at getting some acrylic sheet and trying to bend it. Thin acrylic seems to be out of stock everywhere (it is almost like they want to use it for PPE :rolleyes:)

An easy way to get a thin flexible plastic sheet is if you have a laminating machine. Just do a blank pouch with no paper in it. However I cant say how it holds up under water, so far I have only used the sheets for above water projects

Thanks for the link, they look really nice. I haven't even got a use for them, but I still want some. :)
And while I was on E-bay, I got carried away and ordered a shed, so that turned into quite a pricey visit. Lol.

It was standard spray bar setup along the back of the tank, and the flow did hit the floaters though did not sway them about too much. Once the matt of them was thick enough they were not affected by the flow. I did add Hydro Japan to it as well, to help fill it out.
What happened with water changes? One of the issues I find is that a settled patch will basically get destroyed when I do a large water change as it will all get moved about and loose it's structure.

The plastic was only vertical right?

Never had a problem with water changes no matter how large. Must have been lucky.
Yeah, I cut it so that it was 5 inches in height, and only 1 inch out of the water. This way worked for me.

I have used two plastic suction cups and piece of fishing line to section off part of the tank for floating plants. It seems to work well for larger floating plants and the fishing line is invisible underwater.

Back