• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpeting plants for a tricky spot

IconicHornbill

Hi all,

I've got a gloomy bit of my tank where despite best endeavours, my HC carpet won't reach; I think because its too shaded under a bit of wood.

What other carpeting plants might work well here? Ideally I'd like something that complements yet contrasts with the HC. I did have Micranthemum Monte Carlo in the tank which did very well but it was too similar to the HC so I removed it.

The tank's high tech; CO2 and daily dosing of ferts, good lighting from a twinstar 600EA for about 7 hours a day, 23-24 degrees.

The area in question is to right of the wood, where the HC's straggly.

Thanks!

20200615_180333.jpg

Would have said MC but reckon your HC might make it.

Any room for upping your Co2? If not, any chance you could lower your temp down to the 21C-22C range? Or both maybe?

Can see from the pic the HC is reaching just to the right of the wood. Lower temp, even by a couple of degrees allows for more gas to be dissolved into the water column.

Marsilea hirsuta? Dwarf hairgrass may or may not slowly do well too

Lower temp, even by a couple of degrees allows for more gas to be dissolved into the water column.

@IconicHornbill,

the temperature idea is solid. I dropped down to 72 Fahrenheit and the next day my plants looked sturdier. I wouldn’t be surprised if it may give that carpet the little bit it may need.
Josh

the temperature idea is solid. I dropped down to 72 Fahrenheit and the next day my plants looked sturdier. I wouldn’t be surprised if it may give that carpet the little bit it may need.

Would be cool if you can get a nice even carpet. Keep us posted.

hi all,

Sorry for the very late reply.

I've turned the temperature down to 21, though as its been pretty warm out it's been hard to get the tank below 23 at the moment! I've also moved one of the large crypts to see if more light will help and it appears that I've got new growth!

Seems like light and temperature have helped,. Thanks for the advice! Ill let you know when it's fully carpeted :)

One plant that will work in dark corner and shade is Anubias Nana Petite. Technically, not a carpet plants, but you can glue them in small rock and place in dark corners. It grows slowly but over time it will blanket over the rock and appears no difference from carpet plants.

Back