• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap Light for Spare Tank

jameson_uk

I am looking for a light for my hospital / quarantine / grow out tank. It is a ClearSeal 18x10x10.

I only want to be able to check on the occupants rather than grow anything so don't want to pay a lot.

I was looking at the Nicrew lights on Amazon but they seem to not be waterproof so by the time you add the controller and a condensation lid / acrylic sheet it starts to up.

Any recommendations?

Aquael leddy smart
BB855EB4-CF10-4770-84BF-B6B01482658C.jpeg

It is a ClearSeal 18x10x10
As tank is relatively shallow (I’m assuming this is inches) I’d add a lid regardless to prevent any losses from jumping/climbing out
I prefer a dimmable light (manual is fine) that can provide very good illumination to check for external symptoms (the first ich spot, fish velvet, damaged scales, eye cloudiness, changes in slime coat etc) - though depending on your other tank lights, you can obviously move a better light over for close examination

Light in this Thread looks good (though perhaps not budget enough)
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-tech-vibrant-nano-cube.61050/

Last edited:
Try Chihiros A series the old type. Excellent value.

Aquael leddy smart
For some reason I ruled this out as I figured it would light up enough of the tank. I guess it doesn't massively matter though as I can always move it if needed...
This does give me an idea to take the fairly pants LED that came with my Aqua One nano tanks (https://www.aqua-one-spare-parts.co.uk/proddetail/aqua-one-aquanano-40-led-replacement-light-unit) and get a better light for one of the nanos 🤔

As tank is relatively shallow (I’m assuming this is inches) I’d add a lid regardless to prevent any losses from jumping/climbing out
I prefer a dimmable light (manual is fine) that can provide very good illumination to check for external symptoms (the first ich spot, fish velvet, damaged scales, eye cloudiness, changes in slime coat etc) - though depending on your other tank lights, you can obviously move a better light over for close examination
The tank does have a really flimsy lid but it is black plastic, it is almost paper thin and I don't think you could easily attach a light fitting under it (it is also fugly) so I was looking at binning it.

I think the tank was £28 and when I was looking an acrylic sheet to cover it many of the options ended up costing nearly as much as the tank.. The cheaper options seem to end up clawing this back as postage costs. Could really do with holes drilled too to facilitate wires and lifting out and my cutting of acrylic leaves a lot to be desired... Think I am going to have to bite the bullet and just get one

Light in this Thread looks good (though perhaps not budget enough
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/low-tech-vibrant-nano-cube.61050/
I am fairly sure this is the same light as the Nicrew I was looking at just with a different branding.

Aquael leddy smart
You have these installed on your shrimp tank right?

I am now thinking about one of these for my Betta tank and moving that light onto the <insert usage> tank. The only thing putting me off is the inability to control it. I really like the sunrise / sunset on my Juwel lights (and it does have a noticeable difference on the livestock not being startled by the lights suddenly coming on). I also quite like the blue night lights.

Do you reckon the light would be fine in that tank with those plants or might it start causing me algae issues? (there are currently only a few snails in there to control algae)

I have these on all but one of my shrimp tanks, they have been reliable, cheapish and grow plants like buce, anubias etc ok, but like u say not programmable and you cant alter the height of the unit

If u do get one make sure u get the plant version

Back