• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange Fish

Nick72

The global lockdown has clearly put a strain on the average Local Fish Shop (LFS).

Even once the shops were allowed to open again here in Malaysia most of my LFS's had little in the way of fish or live plants.

Some weeks later and we are finally seeing signs the supply chain is coming back together with many stores now having new stock.

What I've found most interesting is the "strange fish" that are appearing.

I think with limited choice at the wholesaler, and their stock favourites still unavailable, our LFS's are branching out and displaying fish they would not otherwise have bothered with.

This week I came across some nice Galaxy Rasbora (rarely seen), some horribly deformed 'bubble' Opaline Gourami, and these rather charming Leopard Bush Fish.

8DAF1AD9-F73F-49FA-83C4-3DBAB810E489.jpeg

Anything unusual turned up where you are?

One of my lfs specializes in rare tropical fish.. There is always something special to find as they import alot on their own rather than use the wholesale importer/breeder that the majority use.. They even got a YouTube channel.. Search for 'Utaka' and you will see.. :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Haven't been to any lfs this year but leopard bush fish are really cool to keep and get a decent size. I had one for about 10 years and it became a real pet fish.

When I used to go to the wholesaler to pick up fish they always had a selection of fish that never seemed to sell, so would make great lock down fillers. I always saw parrotfish, mono's and the same clown triggerfish everytime I went.

Haven't been to any lfs this year but leopard bush fish are really cool to keep and get a decent size. I had one for about 10 years and it became a real pet fish.

When I used to go to the wholesaler to pick up fish they always had a selection of fish that never seemed to sell, so would make great lock down fillers. I always saw parrotfish, mono's and the same clown triggerfish everytime I went.

I have to say I was tempted having discovered that they are suitable for a high temp tanks like mine, 28.5c.

But even though they grow very slowly they get big, and my tank (180 litre) would eventually become too small for it.

The shop guy kept telling me this was the Dwarf version and wouldn't get much bigger than my Pearl Gourami.:mad:

They get to 6" but they are pretty sedate and would be fine in a 180l from my experience. The one thing about them is they prefer darker areas with plenty of cover, as they are ambush predators. That also means they aren't a great mix with small fish but in a larger fish community they can be great. I think of them like a camouflaged betta.

They get to 6" but they are pretty sedate and would be fine in a 180l from my experience. The one thing about them is they prefer darker areas with plenty of cover, as they are ambush predators. That also means they aren't a great mix with small fish but in a larger fish community they can be great. I think of them like a camouflaged betta.

Do you have any photos of yours fully grown? From what I've seen they are also wide stocky fish, at least three times the weight of a full grown Pearl Gourami - or maybe I'm misinformed?

Sorry I don't have any pictures. They are a stocky fish though, quite broad and flat on the shoulders more like an arrowana or giant gourami, than the slender pearl gourami. They are far larger than a pearl gourami ime, so 3 times the weight seems plausible but I'd wager it's more. An adult could eat a pencilfish type fish without any effort.

Sorry I don't have any pictures. They are a stocky fish though, quite broad and flat on the shoulders more like an arrowana or giant gourami, than the slender pearl gourami. They are far larger than a pearl gourami ime, so 3 times the weight seems plausible but I'd wager it's more. An adult could eat a pencilfish type fish without any effort.

Thanks Mort, that's what I thought. I just don't have room in my tank for a fish of that size.

Back