• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Chihiros RGB Vivid - looks VERY promising

BTW are you using the 'my chihiros' app with the red dragon logo? Because that's the one I use and it works flawless, the old one won't work with those new led series.

Yep, the My Chihiros app. It worked fine for the first half an hour, and I was just starting to get to grips with the slightly odd schedule setup, then ‘POP’ and the fun was over lol

So its seems the easiest solution, though not ideal on a brand new light, is to order a new controller direct from Chihiros, at $8 plus $6 shipping. In the end I told them to send me three new controllers, then I'm covered for potential future failures!

Chihiros also mentioned, that as there is no distributor in the UK, lights can be ordered from them directly, and will come with warranty, so I won't be using AliExpress again in the future!

My shades arrived today for the vivid 2, I got some photos of before and after and then I’ll add some with the lights on, as they have literally just came on for sunrise. I mostly wanted them so I don’t get glare from the light when viewing the tank from my desk.

- only one shade has the logo on, so you can face the logo to the wall if you wish.

- the shades have no reflective mirror inner edge, so if you want reflective strips on the inner face, you will need to modify yourself.

ps. Excuse the loose hanging wire, I’ve still not terminated it just incase I decide to lower the lights

Attachments

• DA153D2E-4C96-426E-AA7D-86DB9F847BDE.jpeg
    DA153D2E-4C96-426E-AA7D-86DB9F847BDE.jpeg
    787.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 3F639B0D-7DDA-4F73-80BE-9C563AFC12C7.jpeg
    3F639B0D-7DDA-4F73-80BE-9C563AFC12C7.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 206
  • ED866A5F-364F-499D-93FF-B37C875A6320.jpeg
    ED866A5F-364F-499D-93FF-B37C875A6320.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 200
- the shades have no reflective mirror inner edge, so if you want reflective strips on the inner face, you will need to modify yourself.

I noticed the shades have a bit of a slot, so you could slide a piece of mirror polished stainless steel or aluminium inside, or cover over with some aluminium tape.

I noticed the shades have a bit of a slot, so you could slide a piece of mirror polished stainless steel or aluminium inside, or cover over with some aluminium tape.

Yes could slide a mirror in or use reflective tape. I have some silver foil tape that I will stick on the inside.

Yes could slide a mirror in or use reflective tape. I have some silver foil tape that I will stick on the inside.

You might just want to try stick it to one shade first, and try that shade front and back. When I made some polished stainless shades for a light some time ago, I found the shade at the rear defeated the purpose of having them as it reflected the light back into the eyes underneath the front shade.

Hi, can someone help me with chihiros app.
On 0 a.m. lamp just go on only on red light, any suggestion. This is not the biggest issue, for me its, when electricy cut off and lamp not start, any possible solution on this.
Will be very grateful, if someone help me.

Thanks for the shade pics @becks , I might consider buying those too even if my DIY shade works great for now, it doesn't look as good. ;)

Hi, can someone help me with chihiros app.
On 0 a.m. lamp just go on only on red light, any suggestion. This is not the biggest issue, for me its, when electricy cut off and lamp not start, any possible solution on this.
Will be very grateful, if someone help me.

Unfortunately when electricity cut off, the light won goes ON by itself, you'll need to reboot it from the app. Well, that's minor issue until your get a lot of electricity cuts in your city?

So its seems the easiest solution, though not ideal on a brand new light, is to order a new controller direct from Chihiros, at $8 plus $6 shipping. In the end I told them to send me three new controllers, then I'm covered for potential future failures!

Chihiros also mentioned, that as there is no distributor in the UK, lights can be ordered from them directly, and will come with warranty, so I won't be using AliExpress again in the future!

Good to know, hope you'll sort that out and Chihiros too...

In my country we got an official reseller, fortunately, so the lights are under 2 year warranty.

It's amazing that Chihiros have released a poor unstable app despite charging a fair amount for the lights. Shows their confidence as the competition (especially for value) might be harder to find.

It's amazing that Chihiros have released a poor unstable app despite charging a fair amount for the lights. Shows their confidence as the competition (especially for value) might be harder to find.

Wouldn' t say the app is that unstable or bad, they're lot of settings possibilities on the new version, you can even select your spectrum between 3000 and 12000K which I find useful. ;)

I mean my onf flat one + app isn't very useful in comparaison, just an simple daytime cycle and dimmer function. :p

Of course, Chihiros team still need to improve QC on the future products.

My shades arrived today for the vivid 2, I got some photos of before and after and then I’ll add some with the lights on, as they have literally just came on for sunrise. I mostly wanted them so I don’t get glare from the light when viewing the tank from my desk.
Just out of curiosity what are the measurements of the shades? many thanks :)

Good to know, hope you'll sort that out and Chihiros too...

In my country we got an official reseller, fortunately, so the lights are under 2 year warranty.

Well my three new controllers arrived today. Replacing the dodgy one was simple enough, and so far so good on the new one, it all seems to be working fine.

Colour rendition looks a little better too, like some of the green tones are better, though that may just be my imagination as I don’t know how the controller could affect that!

Now so just need to figure out how to set up a schedule on this infernal app!

Well my three new controllers arrived today. Replacing the dodgy one was simple enough, and so far so good on the new one, it all seems to be working fine.

Colour rendition looks a little better too, like some of the green tones are better, though that may just be my imagination as I don’t know how the controller could affect that!

Now so just need to figure out how to set up a schedule on this infernal app!

Nice to hear, once you get used to this light, you’ll find the colors under other lights very pale :p.

as for the app, go on the automatic menu and then down on ‘quickset’, that is easier. ;)

Just out of curiosity what are the measurements of the shades? many thanks :)

length of the fixture,the shades are 8cm wide with roughly five centimetres over hanging the fixture

Regarding the power cuts, you could, if you encounter a lot of power cuts is to use a UPS

So, I'm in the planning stages of my new 1500 x 450 x 450 tank. Part of the reason for buying the WRGB II was to see how I got on with the RGB colour rendition - which I have now grown to love.

I even picked up a second hand Twinstar 600S and an AI Prime Freshwater to make sure I was going in the right direction for the lighting on the new tank. Neither could come close to the WRGB II.

So the next question is, how many Vivid II's should I go for on a 1500 x 450 aquarium?

I see @CooKieS you are using a single light on an 800 x 400 - so would two be sufficient, or should I be thinking about three?

So, I'm in the planning stages of my new 1500 x 450 x 450 tank. Part of the reason for buying the WRGB II was to see how I got on with the RGB colour rendition - which I have now grown to love.

I even picked up a second hand Twinstar 600S and an AI Prime Freshwater to make sure I was going in the right direction for the lighting on the new tank. Neither could come close to the WRGB II.

So the next question is, how many Vivid II's should I go for on a 1500 x 450 aquarium?

I see @CooKieS you are using a single light on an 800 x 400 - so would two be sufficient, or should I be thinking about three?

wow nice tank size!:cool:

2 vivid 2 would be more than enough for your new tank :)

also I got the shades, they’re are an very useful addition and cheap (pair of shades : 22€ at my lfs).

wow nice tank size!:cool:

2 vivid 2 would be more than enough for your new tank :)

also I got the shades, they’re are an very useful addition and cheap (pair of shades : 22€ at my lfs).

Thanks @CooKieS - Chihiros said they would recommend three, but I assumed that might be a bit of salesmanship!

I have the Chihiros shades for my WRGB II, but to be honest I find them a bit bulky. I’ll probably knock up my own for the Vivid’s, and design something a little less obtrusive in profile, but something is definitely necessary to stop glare!

Two Vivid 2’s in black just ordered.

I got lucky too - Chihiros quoted me $380 per light, delivered, a couple of weeks ago, but when I checked today the price has gone up to $459! :shifty:

Luckily they agreed to honour the quoted price!

They are also introducing a store-front within the MyChihiros app which they put me on the beta for - where you can directly order lights and spares etc.

1594205778293.png

This is important information that Twinstar and AI should take note of... :cool:

Back