• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

transparent growth

Roediger

Hello all. i am having trouble with my tank at the moment. i am dosing ei giving the tank tank daily dose 4ppm N, 1ppm P, 5ppm K, and traces. inject co2 as well when lights are out PH is at 7.6 when light on 6.4 and slightly goes up to 6.8 max.. during the day and co2 stops when lights out. my monte carlo and S.repens have many new and old leaves that look transparent, what causes that ? also some leaves are curled is that a sign of mg and cal? Thank you

Hi @Roediger,

The details you provided give a general idea (which is good); however, < these guidelines > may help for some more specific details.

Sometimes, even if our pH drops appropriately or our DC reads "correctly" our CO2 distribution can be the downfall of the CO2 nutrient delivery.

Some photos of the specific plants will also help with a diagnosis!

Josh

Hello thanks for the response. Here are some pics
received_201090744631692.jpeg

I can see GSA, BBA and even worse mini ramshorn snails :couchpotato:.

Do the transparent leaves become holes and die? or do they recover?

I think no harm in doubling the N and P. Maybe improve flow if it's possible. FTS could also help.

I can see GSA, BBA and even worse mini ramshorn snails :couchpotato:.

Do the transparent leaves become holes and die? or do they recover?

I think no harm in doubling the N and P. Maybe improve flow if it's possible. FTS could also help.
No they just stay there all clear....

ok so i cleaned my inline diffuser before i went out and purchased a GLA bazooka diffuser. i see alot of micro bubbles and plants have alot of pearling happening around them. so i hope that took care of things. we see in a few days are weeks

1594682407216524401817214062123.jpg

Attachments

• 15946824215748680731906679534706.jpg
    15946824215748680731906679534706.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
Hi @Roediger,

The stem plants there have algae’s pearling around the edges.

A full tank shot will be very helpful as it looks like most of the plants are near the front of the tank - distributing co2 there will need care.

I think our focus on the faster growing stems is the new growth. Once the new growth grows healthily and stays algae free, we can top them, cut the bad part out, replant the healthy top. That’s the road to recovery.

The s . Repens looks like it will pull through with time.

During this time, large and consistent water changes and maintenance will only be beneficial.

Josh

Herea the pic

Attachments

• 1594932837356757386643375744107.jpg
    1594932837356757386643375744107.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 149
Hi @Roediger, thanks for the photos.

I am guessing here by stitching what I see in all the photos together, but the primary unhealthy plant matter seems to be on the left. You have a filter output on the left (from my view) and a power head (which is likely weaker) on the right. I suspect that your nutrient/co2 delivery is not making it to the left of your tank as your primary filter output goes across to the right hand side.

Perhaps we can try a different orientation:
1) pick whichever side you can due to tubing constraints (left or right)
2) put your filter intake near the front of the tank with your output right beside it.

Kind of like:
1595000303143.png

On the left you have the orientation I am referring to - but you have bazooka inline instead of in tank diffuser.

That may help with the distribution across the tank.

It may also be a good idea to dose everything in excess right now (I am not sure how in-line your ferts are with EI currently), but until you sort this it may be worth to upp it - alternatively, you could wait and see.

This is what I would do:
Day 0 (night):
1) Massive water change, clean hard.
2) Fix flow distribution as I suggested.
3) Start your dosing regime (I would probably aim EI'ish).

Day 1 (day):
1) Run a pH profile to see what is happening + watch the tank.
2) continue ferts.

Day 2 (day):
1) Make adjustment to CO2, then every 2 hours watch the DC and increase CO2 and watch the tank.
2) Continue this process increasing BPS until you find a threshold that you feel comfortable with - some people wait for fish gasp - some people think that is immoral. In pursuit of learning, it isn't a bad idea to go to the gasp point so that you know it.

Day 3 (day - pre-lights on):
1) Watch your ph drop and watch the tank. It will drop faster than day before because you have increased injection rate.
2) Re run pH profile
3) continue Day 2 strategy until happy
4) all along dosing EI level ish.

All along, remove dead matter, clean etc.

EDIT: I think you know this but DC lime green 2 hours after lights on is a good aim (don't worry about right at lights on - this will depend on injection rate and surface agitation). And about 1 pH drop is a good starting point.

Hope that helps :).

Josh

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Josh!

I think i need to redo my EI method i try to do daily light doses. But now i see ita not working. Also my csm+b plantex after a few days starts to get a smime coating . Everytime too. Thinn i should ad that as dry fert instead of a sulution. I also give 15 ml of pottasium thay gives only 5ppm K.

How do you set up your EI may i ask?

Thanks for the response Josh!

I think i need to redo my EI method i try to do daily light doses. But now i see ita not working. Also my csm+b plantex after a few days starts to get a smime coating . Everytime too. Thinn i should ad that as dry fert instead of a sulution. I also give 15 ml of pottasium thay gives only 5ppm K.

How do you set up your EI may i ask?

Hi @Roediger - when you mix your CSM+B what water do you use?

I've heard of people getting a mold or slime coating in the bottle if using tap water. I've only ever mixed my DIY ferts in distilled water, and have never had this issue.

How long does it take for the slime to appear after the initial mixing?

Hi @Roediger,

I use https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php and make dosing solutions to target daily EI levels.

The csm+b plantex solutions needs Distilled water and a drop of spirit vinegar to prevent that.

Switch out a bunch of water maybe several times over, reset the tank, sort out CO2 both flow + injection rate, keep dosing. See what happens.

Josh

Hi @Roediger,

I use https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php and make dosing solutions to target daily EI levels.

The csm+b plantex solutions needs Distilled water and a drop of spirit vinegar to prevent that.

Switch out a bunch of water maybe several times over, reset the tank, sort out CO2 both flow + injection rate, keep dosing. See what happens.

Josh
What do you mix together in your bottle tho. When i do NPK, pottasium never desolves all the way unless its alone.

Back