• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red plants turning purple?

kilnakorr

I'm having some on/off issues with red plants in my tank (AR rosanervig,AR mini and Ludwigia glandulosa).
I've had isdues which I believe was poor co2 distribution and now tuning in co2.

Although flow and co2 is much better, I still see these funky colors.
Question is, if the deep purple color, with punk veins is the right color for glandulosa?
Leafs seem small, so maybe upping to 2/week 50% water change is to much?

20200702_161523.jpg

Hi,
The picture is of l. Glandulosa right?
What may have happened is the virus that makes A.R. rosanverig pretty with white veins has infected the Ludwigia. This plants might not be able to tolerate the virus so well, so it is behaving odly.
Only saying this since my Shinnersia Weiss-Grün infected my Staurogyne brown and upset it :'(

Keen to see rest of tank and closeups of other plants. Thanks.

Some believe that Ca2+ issues can cause this type of leaf curling. But it could be other things like CO2 as well.

Some believe that Ca2+ issues can cause this type of leaf curling. But it could be other things like CO2 as well.
I have plenty of Ca in my tap water, so that is not the issue.

What may have happened is the virus that makes A.R. rosanverig pretty with white veins has infected the Ludwigia. This plants might not be able to tolerate the virus so well, so it is behaving odly.
This seems to have happened to all red plants, I do believe it was/is a CO2 issue.

And update.
After tweaking and monitoring CO2, the curling has pretty much stopped.
There is still some discoloration, on all red plants (turning purple).
I have increased light intensity a bit, which have helped a bit, with slow growth.
I have more algae on older leaves, which could be ferts running low due to my increased waterchanges.
I have removed some plants that just didn't seem happy at all.
I did a few watertests yesterday. Not for specific values, but just to check if I had some very low readings. PO4 seemed pretty low, and I could be in the low range with potassium.
I've made a PO4/potassium solution to use after waterchange to make sure I don't go to low.

So. It seems I have a general problem with most plants, but not any specific problem.
For now, I'm going to continue keep tank, equipment and water clean and will up the ferts.

Other ideas are most welcome.

Hi,
The picture is of l. Glandulosa right?
Only saying this since my Shinnersia Weiss-Grün infected my Staurogyne brown and upset it :'(
Did you mix up Hydrophila polysperma "Rosanervig" with AR Rosanervig? The white veins in the former plant is caused by virus, not AR.

Did you mix up Hydrophila polysperma "Rosanervig" with AR Rosanervig? The white veins in the former plant is caused by virus, not AR.
Ah yeah, I did. Sorry for any confusion and thanks for pointing that out.

Back