• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Skim 350 Modifications review

Hufsa

I recently purchased an Eheim Skim 350 and found myself in the same spot as many others, needing to shrimp and fish-proof the skimmer opening.
I have tried out various materials and figured I would list them here for the benefit of others :)

Modification number 1 was a covering of this very fine mesh, repurposed from a bird cage seed catcher from ebay. The mesh is completely baby shrimp proof but almost completely inhibited the functioning of the skimmer.
(Skimmer part +final modification for scale in photos).

1.jpg

Modification number 2 was this mosquito netting made to cover your head. I bought mine from a local store but found a very similar looking product on ebay. It should be possible to get the material in black as well. This mesh should keep out all but the absolutely smallest baby shrimp, but you lose some effectiveness of the skimmer. The modified skimmer head will need to be cleaned often.

2.jpg

Modification number 3 is a stiff mesh made of plastic. If the ebay link expires some time in the future, it can be found by searching for "Plastic drainage mesh". I cut the mesh to fit between the slots and attached it with synthetic sewing thread under the lip of the head to lock it down. This will only keep out shrimp down to sub-adult size, but I found in my tank that the smallest baby shrimp tend to stay in the plants and not swim about that much so I found it to be an acceptable tradeoff. With this mesh the skimmer function is barely disturbed, but it needs to be kept an eye on, because a few plant leaves will clog it up and the skimmer will suck down the head and stop skimming.

3b.jpg 3.jpg

Modification number 4 is stainless steel mesh cannibalized from a shrimp intake guard. It goes inside the slots like in the second picture here that I have shamelessly stolen from the internet. This mesh is much too fine and the water just bypasses the mesh and flows over the top. You could probably experiment with different densities of mesh to find one where the water will go mostly unimpeded through the holes while keeping critters out. I have not tested this one for long as there is a chance fish will go over the top and end up in the skimmer. That was not a risk I was willing to take.

4.jpg download.jpg

Modification number 5 is my favorite so far. The mesh is from a black loofah. The mesh is stretchy and easy to wrap around things, but a bit delicate so take care when cleaning it and dont pull too hard. It also happens to be my favorite material for use in securing pump outlets from athletic and suicidal fish. Its attached with a cable tie. The modification steals a little bit of movement room from the skimmer. The water goes through this mesh very easily and since the surface is larger it can take more than two plant leaves before clogging. Should keep out shrimp down to sub-adult size. It impedes skimmer function only slightly more than number 3, but still allows for effective skimming.

6.jpg 6b.jpg

Hope this post helps if others need to modify their skimmers, or if they are like me and love a bit of DIY they have some ideas for materials to hoard :geek:

Last edited:
Good post, but I find the product itself to be hard to clean. You could get a sunsun fo 1/4 of the price, which comes with a fish guard. Shrimps can get in, but it's a bit transparent, so just lift the top to let them out🙂 No nore taken the stuff apart either to clean:p

I have the same skimmer and have used something similar to number 5. I found it worked to prevent adult shrimps and fish inside but functionality was greatly impaired. I still havent found a perfect fix for it. I know green aqua are selling a #d printed replacement part for it, but i havent seen any reviews of it.

I went through many of these options with my Eheim 350 - it still managed to kill two fish.

IModification No.6 - stick the Skim 350 in the classified and get an APS SKIM-2 - sooooo much better than the Eheim; much faster and easier to maintain, much greater surface area skimming meaning it takes much longer to clog, a transparent body to easily spot trapped shrimp etc. I have two now and they both work great.

1594816982527.jpeg

Most skimmers are death traps but the worst I've seen is the eheim skim 350.....ridiculous considering it's pretty expensive.

I'd recommend a skimmer that can be found by looking up JY-01, it's very cheap and comes with a guard. It won't keep shrimp out but most fish will be safe.

I have created my own and used a 3D printer to print it out:

106495029_605076713722113_1023782334404714990_n.jpg

Slightly bigger than the original but works great and protects fish and shrimp from entering it.

I have been working on a new version:

106930330_196550275090625_1526394583222357974_n.jpg

I have started working from scratch on a new smaller version to mimic the original size, but has issues floating other than at the minum speed of the skimmer! so I am trying a couple of different options ;)

I have created my own and used a 3D printer to print it out:

View attachment 152452

Slightly bigger than the original but works great and protects fish and shrimp from entering it.

I have been working on a new version:

View attachment 152453

I have started working from scratch on a new smaller version to mimic the original size, but has issues floating other than at the minum speed of the skimmer! so I am trying a couple of different options ;)

Fantastic work! I'm always amazed what can be done at home with these new 3D printers!

Fantastic work! I'm always amazed what can be done at home with these new 3D printers!
Learned these new skills while on lockdown (usinf the printer and the 3D modelling software) printing face shield frames for the local health organizations due to the lack of PPE at the start of the lockdown, was printing that non stop for 6 weeks until the gorvernement managed to catch up.

Since then I have been seeing what else I can use it for while I have the borrowed printer at home and its been pretty cool so far, possibilities are endless :)

Now considering purchasing my own printer :)

Learned these new skills while on lockdown (usinf the printer and the 3D modelling software) printing face shield frames for the local health organizations due to the lack of PPE at the start of the lockdown, was printing that non stop for 6 weeks until the gorvernement managed to catch up.

Since then I have been seeing what else I can use it for while I have the borrowed printer at home and its been pretty cool so far, possibilities are endless :)

Now considering purchasing my own printer :)

I bet its fascinating watching it printing up layer by layer and forming the object you had in your imagination and visualised on screen. Can the surfaces be sanded smooth once its printed?

What about just 3D printing a little grate that fits into existing floating insert?
That is also a possibility, Green Aqua sell one which I think is exactly that, two different molds combined into one! but if you are going to do that then you might aswell just cut some mesh and just place that on top (the bottom of a tropica plant pot works just as well ;) )

My original print was exactly that, just something that you place on top of the original skimmer floating head.

I've given up trying to modify mine with mesh or whatnot. It never seems to skim as efficiently afterwards. Instead I have it on a timer. It comes on for 10 mins every hour...less time for shrimp and fish to get sucked in, more time for them to escape if they do. So far I've found zero fish or shrimp in the skimmer. And the surface remains totally free of scum.

I've given up trying to modify mine with mesh or whatnot. It never seems to skim as efficiently afterwards. Instead I have it on a timer. It comes on for 10 mins every hour...less time for shrimp and fish to get sucked in, more time for them to escape if they do. So far I've found zero fish or shrimp in the skimmer. And the surface remains totally free of scum.

The problem with that is that small fish or shrimp will be able to go into the outflow of the skimmer and get crushed by the impelled when it starts up again.....

I used to employ this method but am sure Paulo will be able to print something to do the job efficiently given experimentation.

Back