• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 or O2 bubbles all over sand

My sand bed at the front of my scape has bubbles covering some spots and when the bubbles are buoyant enough it lifts the sand and sends it all over the tank. Anyone else have this issue before?

My sand bed at the front of my scape has bubbles covering some spots and when the bubbles are buoyant enough it lifts the sand and sends it all over the tank. Anyone else have this issue before?

Certainly, I would say everyone with sand has had this issue! You are not alone.

Some people poke it regularly.
Some people get Malaysian Trumpet Snails* (awesome by the way) to dig it up for them.

In the substrate, the bacteria are growing and performing their nitrifying duties. These bacteria consume oxygen in the substrate (hence why we want to poke it, to "aerate" it and feed them oxygen), convert toxic compounds to non-toxic ones (hopefully), and release CO2. What you are seeing are likely CO2 bubbles . If the bacteria run out of oxygen (especially in a densely packed sand substrate) then the substrate becomes < anaerobic > and could release harmful compounds.

Bottom line: it's normal (but you should intervene).

My advice (because I hate poking substrate ... we have enough to do in this hobby): get MTS*.

Cheers,
Josh

Last edited:
Back