• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3D Printed Sculpture, Planting suggestions / ideas needed

lensworx

Seedling
Hi everyone

I am in the process of rescaping what will end up as a 100g low tech community tank.
Wanted to do something a little different I have 3D Printed what I want to be the main centre point but now second guessing what to do with it.

The original plan was to attach java moss to it as well as a small section of possibly java fern. I am now wondering if the moss will end up covering up all the holes.
The entire structure is just over a 1ft high so plenty of space.
IMG_20200726_175639.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas would be great

Awesome, that looks like PLA right?

The original plan was to attach java moss to it as well as a small section of possibly java fern. I am now wondering if the moss will end up covering up all the holes.
Stick the moss on the inside rather than the outside and let it grow out, will create a much better effect ;)

Awesome, that looks like PLA right?

Stick the moss on the inside rather than the outside and let it grow out, will create a much better effect ;)

Thanks, yes it is PLA.

I did think about putting some on the inside but did not think there would be enough light, I will give that a try.

Thanks for the tip

Thanks, yes it is PLA.
PLA after a while will go soft and crumble, would be best to print it using PETG. someone mentioned in the forum about PLA and I tested it and its not a good material to keep it under water.

PLA after a while will go soft and crumble, would be best to print it using PETG. someone mentioned in the forum about PLA and I tested it and its not a good material to keep it under water.
Thats interesting, I did have resovations about pla and have read conflicting reviews about this.
I guess its back to the drawing board and will get a roll of PETG ordered to reprint this in.

Thats interesting, I did have resovations about pla and have read conflicting reviews about this.
I guess its back to the drawing board and will get a roll of PETG ordered to reprint this in.
Can always go with it and see how it behaves ;) then you will know for sure. I printed a Eheim Skimmer head using PLA and so far so good (3 weeks), lets see how long that lasts!

Back