• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light intensity for Shrimp

BarryH

Does anyone have any views on what they feel the best light intensity is for a shrimp only tank?

On most of my tanks I have the usual sunrise/sunset setup and noticed in the shrimp only tanks, they appear to be more active as the lights are starting to dim. This made me wonder if there was a light intensity that was more beneficial to the shrimp. In other tanks, the light is mainly governed by the needs of plants and I guess, the fish.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about the plants you have in the tank rather than the shrimp, they dont really care to be honest, and lower light might actually be better, my light went out on one of my shrimp tanks and took me a month to get a replacement the shrimp were fine ;)

Thanks Paulo. The only plant in the shrimp only tanks is Weeping Moss and for me that seems to do pretty well whatever the conditions.

Thanks Paulo. The only plant in the shrimp only tanks is Weeping Moss and for me that seems to do pretty well whatever the conditions.

Yeah, as Paulo says, I don't think shrimp give a monkeys. most of mine hang around on top of moss that actually breaches the surface under a 67W 4500 lumen light. Many of them actually crawl partially out of the water, with their backs exposed, just to get to those moss strands just covered by the surface skin on the water. I can only assume the bio-film on those strands is extra tasty!

Back