• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

It ain't much but I like it

PotteryWalrus

So, I've had plants in tanks before, but when I was a teenager doing this I was more concerned with how many cool skull and vase shaped aquarium ornaments I could fit in there than making it look at all natural! This is the first time I've really tried for a more natural/jungley type scape?

I've literally just used rocks and driftwood I already had and scrubbed/soaked them for a few days to get rid of any beach salt or pathogens, piled them up and stuck plants I go from ebay in various conditions wherever they would fit. I'm not even a 100% sure on the species ^^;;;

Hopefully it's not a total disgrace to this forum but I think it looks alright anyways!
IMG_20200701_132442.jpg
1593605996613-1.JPEG

Last edited:
Looks good. Loving the terracota pipes/pots my favourite for aquascaping.

Any more pics? Hows it coming along now.

Have you grew to regret the duckweed yet? 😂 good for soaking up nutrients but can get annoyingly clingy when you put your hand in the tank... or virtually anything for that matter

H all, I like a floating plant, partially for its nutrient sponge capability.

I've found that Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) is a <"better "duckweed">.

cheers Darrel
I could never get frogbit to like me for some reason. Duckweed loves me. The feeling was mutual for a while but i eventually nuked it out the tank. Too annoying whenever you quickly needed to put your hand in the tank and you came out with 10000's of duckweed attached as a new sleeve on your arm.

Always fancied water hyacinth but have heard it doesn't cope well with indoor lighting

Hi all,
Always fancied water hyacinth but have heard it doesn't cope well with indoor lighting
It struggles in the winter with light levels, we have a few threads about these <"turned up to eleven"> plants.
I could never get frogbit to like me for some reason.
Interesting, it might be <"a lack of iron in the water column">.

The ones I've struggled with are <"Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans)">, <"Hygroryza aristata"> and Azolla .

You could try <"Floating Fern (Salvinia (natans) auriculata group) or Nile Cabbage (Pistia stratiotes)">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It struggles in the winter with light levels, we have a few threads about these <"turned up to eleven"> plants.Interesting, it might be <"a lack of iron in the water column">.

The ones I've struggled with are <"Red Root Floater (Phyllanthus fluitans)">, <"Hygroryza aristata"> and Azolla .

You could try <"Floating Fern (Salvinia (natans) auriculata group) or Nile Cabbage (Pistia stratiotes)">.

cheers Darrel

Oh red root floater absolutely loathes me. Frogbit i could get going but never sustain. R.R.F. was virtually dead the moment it hit the water surface of my tank haha.

Azolla i have had mixed success with. It grew well but at the time i was keeping duckweed which swiftly outcompeted it in winter.

The two coexisted ok for a year or two. The summer azolla dominated and visa versa. One particularly hard winter duckweed swamped it out and the azolla couldn't make enough of a comeback in the spring.

My fault really. I have a very laid back approach to fish/plant keeping. I like to leave them too it... survival of the fittest in my tanks

Hi all,
I have a very laid back approach to fish/plant keeping. I like to leave them too it... survival of the fittest in my tanks
<"Same for me"> .
Azolla i have had mixed success with. It grew well but at the time i was keeping duckweed which swiftly outcompeted it in winter.
I've found the same it tends to come and go a bit. I've had some outside in a bucket, in the shade, for the last two years and that has remained green and growing all that time. On the pond, and in the tank, boom (and nice and red) <"followed by bust">.

cheers Darrel

Back