• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What water conditioner?

kishan313

Hi Guys,

Like in the title - which water conditioner would you recommend?

I must admit in the past a few years back, I used to just let my water heat/ with a powerhead in the garage for a week before doing a WC (never lost any fish because of this I think!).

This time as I am trying to a better fish keeper I'd like to use a suitable product to ensure the water that goes in is safe for the critters.

Thanks,
Kishan

Prime or time.

Prime if straight from the tap (mains) double dose in summer months when water companies increase agents to compensate for higher tap temps

Time - if left on a vented container/tank for 24hrs

both neutralize the chlorine

and like @Conort2 says :thumbup:

I use prime, has the added benefit of detoxifying ammonia if needed in emergencies if you up the dose.

cheers

Conor

Prime for:me all the way. Expensive but as a little goes a long way it works out very cost effective.

I’m always concerned about storing water as the co2 and o2 will gas off?

Hi @Zeus.
Prime or time.

Prime if straight from the tap (mains) double dose in summer months when water companies increase agents to compensate for higher tap temps

Time - if left on a vented container/tank for 24hrs

both neutralize the chlorine

That's correct. But, if the water company has used chloramine to disinfect the water supply, then this will not 'gas off' when left to stand. It seems that more UK water companies are now using chloramine.

JPC

Hi @Zeus.

That's correct. But, if the water company has used chloramine to disinfect the water supply, then this will not 'gas off' when left to stand. It seems that more UK water companies are now using chloramine.

JPC

Thanks for the correction on chloramine, for some reason I thought that gas off as well :oops:

Hi @Zeus.
Thanks for the correction on chloramine, for some reason I thought that gas off as well

No problem at all. It can be interesting to look at your water company's annual report and check out the 'Residual Disinfectant - Free'/'Residual Disinfectant - Total' figures. What I don't understand is why there is no PCV* for these parameters. I once delved into this in some detail so could check out my notes sometime.

* Prescribed Concentration or Value

JPC

Back