• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Custom Nano with a twist

Mine took two weeks to soak!
Looking great so far and nice light design for sure, very different :)

Thank you mate.

Hoping the wood sinks over the next couple of weeks. Also have another batch of plants coming too. As long as the plants grow in well I’m not too worried it the wood takes a while to sink. Can anyone see any potential issues with this?

Plants added today:

Cryptocoryne Petchii
Helanthium tenellum 'Green' - Tropica 1-2 Grow!
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Ludwigia Repens Rubin
Hygrophila Siamensis 53B
Bucephalandra Red
Bucephalandra Wavy Green
Microsorum pteropus Trident

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More plants arrived today from Aqua Essentials. Again like AG good packaging and quick delivery.

Ludwigia palustris
Tropica Staurogyne repens 1-2-GROW!
Rotala rotundifolia (Dwarf rotala)
Tropica Taxiphyllum spiky 1-2-Grow!
Anubias Petite

I must say I’m very very impressed with the 1-2 grow, unreal quantity in the pot.

Couldn’t wait to finish work today to drain the tank, plant the remaining plants and refill with new water! My current plan is to follow the Tropica App with regards to water changes and trimming.

The co2 system has also been installed, but had some issues priming my filter so will need to sort that out tomorrow.

Last but not least, had dry ferts starter kit arrive so will be doing some brewing over the weekend.

It’s my first scape and by no means perfect, but sometimes it’s good to get stuck in and learn as you go! I’ve temporarily moved all the wood to the front of the tank for a few weeks to let it soak and sink. Hopefully the plants will grow in during this time too.

bfcb495cf1db97cad75ef051924da7cd.jpg

1d3769c51665604aff0d51d290cb4b48.jpg

Tank has been settling in well, first water change done, nearly 80%.

So far I’ve been using tap water. Unsurprisingly it’s raining in August which means my water barrels are filling up in the garden so may start mixing rainwater with tap moving forward.

de193a60f1e4fcf77a48a3bbb11ffd0e.jpg

Plants are filling in nicely, was able to do a slight trim on some plants that we’re looking leggy.

The driftwood seems to be well and truly sunk now, so will need to arrange it properly.

fc849b384460cdfd972aa633b921fa99.jpg

6ca93f87ab6aef344bf49ce3b0c4b5cc.jpg

Looks awesome. Has the light been enough for the plants?

Thanks mate.

So far so good! I chose really low level, easy plants and they’re definitely growing well!

I can’t be the only one who finds water changes therapeutic? Still following the Tropica App and just completed another water change, re arranged the hardscape and finalised then positions for the buces and Anubias.

Now I’m debating on what to stock it with. Initially was thinking of a single betta, or maybe some shrimp + a small shoal of 6 tiny fish

718350e8094f4f176b4dfb171d5e73fe.jpg

Seems like our local fish stores are struggling to get good stock!

I opted for some fancy guppies (chosen by our foster child!) and a couple of snails to clean up the algae I

Unfortunately the guppies are all jumping out one by one... I am down to 4 from 6, a real shame as they look great. Maybe they are known jumpers.

Might need to research some more suitable options moving forward :/

398f9c3cfc4ef5e0d25f7eb93740f9b9.jpg

Plenty of lush growth, and added in a small school of neons with the final Guppy

The ‘easy’ category Tropica plants were a good choice and have pretty much been problem free. Chucking away handfuls of the stems every month or so!

d7fde9723c0ca99811e8ec2e6661039f.jpg

Christmas update:

All going well, but the soil is leaking over the sand thinking about putting a moss carpet over the sand as it looks awful. Back right of the tank the plants aren’t doing so well so may populate it with something else!

Wondering if someone can help.

Looking to set up a low tech tank, maybe using leftover scape/ and potentially excess plants from this tank. Would it be possible to transfer cuttings to the new tank? It won’t be c02 but will be able to add fert. Slow growth not a problem for me...

Back