• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will liquid CO2 kill emersed algae?

Manrock

Hi, doing a dry start and have a very old tank with algae growing/embedded in the corner seals. Would a brush with liquid CO2 kill it off? Or bleach?
20200815_155239.jpg

Both would help i suppos but if using chemicals when you have substrate and plants in place i would use hydrogen peroxide. However in your current situation a bit of elbow grease and a scrubbing pad will remove it all in no time. ;)

[QUOTE="milla, post: 610780, However in your current situation a bit of elbow grease and a scrubbing pad will remove it all in no time. ;)
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I have given that a go already. It just won't shift, seems to be embedded in the silicon. Cotton bud in liquid CO2 directly onto area? Then carefully clean area afterwards? I'm worried about chemicals leaching into substrate. Not tried anything like this before :p

As above, give it a good scrub with a stiff toothbrush.

Liquid co2 will also be fine to use after, just don't know how effective it will be on the algae on in the silicone

both would but cheaper to use vinegar.

Electric toothbrush destroys algae on my silicone
I have tried physically removing it, including using an electric toothbrush. It's a 15 year old tank that's been in constant use all of that time. The silicon is embedded with algae, I need a chemical solution. Cheers.
both would but cheaper to use vinegar.
Never heard of that. I'll try it on a small section today. Cheers.

Back