• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No more CO2. What do I do?

LadyDay

Hi guys.

Due to apparently unsolvable issues with injecting CO2 into our tank my boyfriend thinks it's become too expensive and that we have to try going without it. My objections weren't heard, so now I suddenly have a tank with no gas. So I'm worried about the health of the plants (that were finally thriving) and about getting algae, so I could really use some advice on how to proceed.
The plants are from Tropicas 'Easy' category, so in theory they shouldn't need much CO2. But do I continue EI dosing? Should I turn down the light intensity (96 W)? Should I add something like EasyCarbo?

It's a 325 liter tank with Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila siamensis, Limnophila sessiflora, Bacopa caroliniana og Microsorum pteropus 'narrow'.

Other tank info in case it's relevant:

- Filter is a Eheim Professional 4+ 600 external/canister filter
- Total of 96 W LED light ( A HeliaLux Spectrum 1200 and two of Akvastabil's LED 1100 )
- Substrate is Coarse sand (about 2 mm grain size)
- Waterchange is 50% weekly
- Fish are: 3 Angelfish, 6 Keyhole Cichlids, 7 Crossocheilus Oblongus, 2 Bristlenose Plecos and 5 Copper Corydoras

I can take a picture of the tank later when the light turns on.

Thanks a lot in advance.

You should be alright for the most bit, definately turn down the light intensity and try out a different dosing schedule since the plants will
photosynthesize a lot less because of the lack of co2 in the tank. A different schedule will also prevent a nutrient buildup and therefore algae.

You should be alright for the most bit, definately turn down the light intensity and try out a different dosing schedule since the plants will
photosynthesize a lot less because of the lack of co2 in the tank. A different schedule will also prevent a nutrient buildup and therefore algae.

That sounds good! Thank you. How should I change the schedule you reckon? Lower the amount of fertilizer? Only give them fertilizer every other day? I'm new to aquarium plants, so a bit of a dummy. :facepalm: I'll lower the light.

The EI will be too much at CO2 leves but there are calcalaters fo this and forum members who will advise.. My own opinion is easier to change to a all in one fertiliser EA The Aquascaper which supply macro and micros. Some floating plants and maybe a bunch of egeria will help keep algae at bay as plants will grow slower. Great you have H.difformis though. Much as Greenscapes says really. That's the tank just need to work on your boyfriend try YT with the Nature Aquarium Gallery hes got to like that:)

The EI will be too much at CO2 leves but there are calcalaters fo this and forum members who will advise.. My own opinion is easier to change to a all in one fertiliser EA The Aquascaper which supply macro and micros. Some floating plants and maybe a bunch of egeria will help keep algae at bay as plants will grow slower. Great you have H.difformis though. Much as Greenscapes says really. That's the tank just need to work on your boyfriend try YT with the Nature Aquarium Gallery hes got to like that:)

I think using an all in one fertilizer is a nice and easy way to go. I'm a little overwhelmed with the EI calculations. Thanks for the advice! And I'll get some Egeria and floaty plants.
Boyfriends are such trouble! Haha. He also thinks it's enough to have one aquarium! :eek:;)

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully things will work out.

Back