• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taking a sump. Back in five minutes...

Missed these updates looking great and sure will look even better after a good trim

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Trimmed:

1598633958638.jpeg

Pinnatifida is back in the light so should colour up again. Foreground needs some broken up rock to finish up and the stems making up the triangular shape should be back soon enough.

The mystery crypts poking through the hottonia palustris are optimistic under the ONF’s 😂 but we’ll see how they go.

Cheers @Jayefc1

Not to spoil the surprise but about to make the foreground entirely broken up rock. The disorder of the broken up rock should soften the weird planting arrangement. Just letting these tanks run nowadays to see what they do.

Needed the fertilisation on point to make sure that we’re not inviting problems with exposed surface area and high light. May still go awry with Co2 misting on there but what you gonna do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Gravel...

1598903850113.jpeg

The White Cloud Mountain Minnows are much more chilled out now.

Best guess is they felt too apparent against the sand. Despite their location in the photo (they think they’re going to be fed) they move all around the scape unlike before.

As the gravel begins to discolour the hope is it will look a little more subtle. Will leave the MC and Tripartita to creep across to smooth the transition. The Buce seems to be at a turning point towards healthy new growth as well so hoping they’ll fill in nicely too.

1598904965906.jpeg

Overall just glad to be moving away from a tank full of biscuits :lol:

1598905716885.jpeg

Last edited:
Overall just glad to be moving away from a tank full of biscuits :lol:
:lol:👏
quote of the year!
Looking great and I love the idea of the gravel/shard foreground with creeping plants. It will really blend the tank and make it more natural.

Missed a lot of this will have a look in. The substrate change looks great. I got some sparkly white sand , not advertised as such, and fish looked more at home when l went for a more "sandy" one after l changed it

Had all sorts of ideas when this scape started up. Actually glad biscuit-gate happened... got the ol’ noggin thinking properly about what this tank is actually about and what mattered.

This one is about the kids at it’s heart. They can have a go at trimming and if it goes off script, it grows back soon enough.

There’s also only a 6 hour photo period on this tank so wanted something reef like that would be colourful just viewed by sunlight from the kids point of view.

1598951921679.jpeg

Here’s what the tank looks like lit by daylight from my youngest lads height:

1598951887080.jpeg

Like most four year olds it’s the surface rippling and reflecting that catches his gaze. That and getting lifts off dad for aerial viewing:

1598952984819.jpeg

When I was a lad the tanks were something you left alone lest you want an earful and telling off. It’s a bit ironic that a generation on the endeavour is to get them involved, curious and asking questions.

So yeah... biscuits happen occasionally. Along with Lego sprayed everywhere and enough hotwheels cars to make it look like a container ship has sank carrying a massive car shipment :lol:

But will forever enjoy what this tank does for the young minds in the house rather than anything it is. For everything else, there’s the 1200.

Looks great Geoffrey really like the foregeound and i am going to start getting my 7 year old son involved a bit once the 900 set up and like you say maybe abit trimmimg etc but bet the kids love the 600 great colours and planting and fish choice.

Very lucky kids to see them aquariums wish i had some to look at when i was a kid

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Had all sorts of ideas when this scape started up. Actually glad biscuit-gate happened... got the ol’ noggin thinking properly about what this tank is actually about and what mattered.

This one is about the kids at it’s heart. They can have a go at trimming and if it goes off script, it grows back soon enough.

There’s also only a 6 hour photo period on this tank so wanted something reef like that would be colourful just viewed by sunlight from the kids point of view.

View attachment 153622

Here’s what the tank looks like lit by daylight from my youngest lads height:

View attachment 153621

Like most four year olds it’s the surface rippling and reflecting that catches his gaze. That and getting lifts off dad for aerial viewing:

View attachment 153623

When I was a lad the tanks were something you left alone lest you want an earful and telling off. It’s a bit ironic that a generation on the endeavour is to get them involved, curious and asking questions.

So yeah... biscuits happen occasionally. Along with Lego sprayed everywhere and enough hotwheels cars to make it look like a container ship has sank carrying a massive car shipment :lol:

But will forever enjoy what this tank does for the young minds in the house rather than anything it is. For everything else, there’s the 1200.
Great philosophy and story with the tank. Really great to involve the family but it must help knowing that you have everything in place to allow the plants to grow back in again.......like a haircut, only a few weeks between a good one and a bad one :D

i am going to start getting my 7 year old son involved a bit once the 900 set up and like you say maybe abit trimmimg

You can’t really lose @Deano3 and you never know what it might lead to down the line. Seven year old version of me wanted to know how a siphon worked watching the ‘ol man cleaning his tank, this then led to a question about how trees get water up so high. Then got an explanation about transpiration and negative pressure. This then led to questions about what atmospheric pressure is. This then led to questions about weather prediction.... All from watching my dad siphoning a tank and him being willing to share his down time.

Point is involving your kids with this hobby and listening to their questions is priceless. Maybe this will be your sons thing, maybe not but it’s worth a spin.

it must help knowing that you have everything in place to allow the plants to grow back in again.......like a haircut, only a few weeks between a good one and a bad one :D

In the beginning it went wrong more often than it went right 😂 You can bet your bottom dollar on that one.

There was one night @Ady34 I privately got all miffed because my eldest ignored all instruction, razed the background stems to the ground and diced the tops so fine it looked like finely chopped parsley. (The ‘blitz’ pre-dates ‘buiscuit-gate’)

Later on I randomly burst out laughing at the idea that an adult could get all bent out of shape because his plant is the wrong height 😂 Who’s the kid and who’s the adult here...

Learned to chill out and plan ahead now. It’s why the plant species are duplicated across both tanks, can replace from one another and it’s always recoverable. Glad to say it’s not really needed nowadays.

Point is involving your kids with this hobby and listening to their questions is priceless

Absolutely :) if our young ones want to be involved in any hobby, that is good, sometimes they can teach us so called adults a thing or two as well :)

My Grand Daughter last year told me that I needed to put stuff "up high" in the tank as she is little compared to me, looking up to the water surface there was nothing there to see. I now sit on a stool and stand up close to the tank as well as sit and stand as far from the tank that I can get to get the different perspectives.

They look really pretty little fish - how many do you have in there?

There’s thirty White Cloud Mountain Minnows in total. Not very elegant schoolers but their colouring is pretty smart looking.

You can’t really lose @Deano3 and you never know what it might lead to down the line. Seven year old version of me wanted to know how a siphon worked watching the ‘ol man cleaning his tank, this then led to a question about how trees get water up so high. Then got an explanation about transpiration and negative pressure. This then led to questions about what atmospheric pressure is. This then led to questions about weather prediction.... All from watching my dad siphoning a tank and him being willing to share his down time.

@Geoffrey Rea I’ve met your dad, i can imagine the A level knowledge being drilled into knee high Geoffers..

In contrast I had a relatively normal childhood -

‘where‘s Dad?......’Down the pub’!,,,,, 😂😂😂😂😂😂

@Geoffrey Rea I’ve met your dad, i can imagine the A level knowledge being drilled into knee high Geoffers..

In contrast I had a relatively normal childhood -

‘where‘s Dad?......’Down the pub’!

Well @Siege you shouldn’t be imagining my father drilling anything quite frankly 😂

Back