• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easiest plants for low-light/no Co2!

Java fern needs lots of flow, around not just the leaves but the rhizome!

Good advice thanks!! Worth a try, I'm actually the low tech relative low flow type... :) The scape I'm referring to maybe has 4 x turnover... I'll give it a try one day, low tech and higher flow... I don't know when that is, but in time I let you know... :thumbup: 💪 I definitively won't forget... If so, as a fern fan you would be my hero....

I Experienced Bucephallandra rather preferring high flow too, had a few in my high tech back then. The one in the dead spot was always struggling. The one smack dad in the middle of the flow grew like a rocket. It never occurred to me to try this with Java fern...

Odd that my Bolbitis did so well right from the beginning even when I was mixing my remineralised RO water to be quite hard. I didn't really know what I was doing, and didn't realise that the recommended TDS for the Neocaridina counted as "hard"!

I dialled it back when I was readying the tank for Betta imbellis, as the pH was around 7.6 and I wanted to lower it. These days the pH is around 6.8, lower in the weeks that I remember to add a cup of Catappa leaf tea for the fish. (The Imbellis jumped out, but I've long-suffering Ember tetras and Corydoras Pygmaeus that have survived all the changes, and I just added some Dwarf Gouramis which are already spawning!)

I'm using JBL AquaDur in that tank, only because I bought it at the same time as the RO unit and I want to use up the container. It's concentrated so quite a pain to use in such a small tank (90 liters). I use Salty Shrimp GH&KH+ in all my other tanks and will probably switch to that when the AquaDur is gone.

Thanks, Darrel. Why is it so difficult to obtain reliable data in this hobby? Rhetorical question. It's so frustrating. It makes me :mad:.

JPC

I guess the answer is simple and straight forward... There too many parameters involved, thus getting to universal reliable data is difficult. And no database can cover all possible parameters... Then the majority of databases don't realy care that much since the majority of them are set up commercially like one size fits all concept for the happy majority.

For you or me not being in that happy majority is not their problem to fix seen from a commercial viewpoint... 💪

Last edited:
Good Morning, @zozo
There too many parameters involved, thus getting to universal reliable data is difficult.

Are there really too many parameters involved? Water hardness would be a useful starting point. And, if suppliers are able to throw in a few additional bits of information such as pH, that wouldn't be too much to ask, or would it? Granted it gets a lot more tricky when the parameter is lighting - it may be unreasonable to expect PAR figures, for example.
For you or me not being in that happy majority is not their problem to fix seen from a commercial viewpoint...

Unfortunately, so true! But, all it would take is one of the suppliers to provide these data and that might just give them the commercial advantage over their competitors. I've seen it said here on UKAPS that some members opt for the 'suck it and see' option. They'll give a plant two, maybe three, chances to grow in their tanks. If it grows due South, the plant is turfed out and the cycle is repeated. Does it not make sense to choose plants according to the tank water parameters? I feel compelled to ask these questions even if I'm shot down in flames.

I stumbled across a reference book recently written by a lady. It is reputedly the most authoritative reference book on aquarium plant species. It costs about 70 quid, if I remember rightly. But, off-hand, I can't remember any more details. It's not Diana Walstad's book. Any idea what it might have been? I would certainly consider buying it if it reduces all this guesswork.

JPC

Thanks, Darrel. Why is it so difficult to obtain reliable data in this hobby? Rhetorical question. It's so frustrating. It makes me :mad:.

JPC
Think a lot of internet videos and comments dont help claiming they got the aquarium like this and that without water changes fertilisers etc Interesting a Green Aqua YT looking at the tanks of subscribers to the channel one claiming not to use CO2 which Balaz and company quickly dismissed as a porkie pie ;)

Hi all,
I guess the answer is simple and straight forward... There too many parameters involved, thus getting to universal reliable data is difficult. And no database can cover all possible parameters... Then the majority of databases don't realy care that much since the majority of them are set up commercially like one size fits all concept for the happy majority.
I've got a bit of a jaundiced view of this, my suspicion is that the <"commercial cost of production"> has a lot more to do with which plants are available, not <"their suitability for long time aquarium life">.

There are <"obvious examples">, but the <"commercial realities"> of plant production are always going to drive the industry in that way.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I stumbled across a reference book recently written by a lady. It is reputedly the most authoritative reference book on aquarium plant species. It costs about 70 quid, if I remember rightly. But, off-hand, I can't remember any more details. It's not Diana Walstad's book. Any idea what it might have been? I would certainly consider buying it if it reduces all this guesswork.
<"Christel Kasselman">?

cheers Darrel

Hi @lilirose
I'm using JBL AquaDur in that tank, only because I bought it at the same time as the RO unit and I want to use up the container. It's concentrated so quite a pain to use in such a small tank (90 liters). I use Salty Shrimp GH&KH+ in all my other tanks and will probably switch to that when the AquaDur is gone.

The two products that you mention above only increase GH and KH. Remineralizing salts should include other elements but you may get these from your plant fertilizer depending on which you choose.

JPC

Last edited:
Are there really too many parameters involved? Water hardness would be a useful starting point. And, if suppliers are able to throw in a few additional bits of information such as pH, that wouldn't be too much to ask, or would it? Granted it gets a lot more tricky when the parameter is lighting - it may be unreasonable to expect PAR figures, for example.

Well yes, simply because we have a huge range in different but related chemical, biochemical and biological combinations in parameters playing together and plants can drastically react positively as well negatively with rather small changes we have no control over and it can change on the fly.

Once I experienced something like that with 2 specific crypt species in my tank C. indonessii and C. lucens. And both grew next to each other. Growing perfectly healthy from the start for several years and nothing changed in my husbandry regime. But all of a sudden both plant sp. decided to curl their leaves rolling down looking rather unsightly, weak and unhappy. All other plants (also several Crypt sp. weren't affected. I couldn't find a reason and didn't know where to start changing things, so I didn't change anything. The plants kept doing this for a month or 2 then it went back to normal and never did it again. ?? It beats me, obviously, there was a change in some parameters outside the plant's average comfort zone as given in the available references. Something permanent it had to adapt to again or something that changed back to normal again. I will never know the cause and why only these 2 species were affected. A biochemical change in the substrate maybe?...

Cocktails and Dreams... :cool:

Hi @lilirose

The two products that you mention above only increase GH and KH. Remineralizing salts should include other elements but you may get these from your plant fertilizer depending on which you choose.

I'm not sure what you mean by that- my plants, fish, and shrimp have been happy for the past year using AquaDur or SaltyShrimp along with occasional ferts for low-tech setups. Do you just mean that most people here are also dosing EI salts, or are you saying that I'm slowly killing my plants and livestock (all of which appear to be thriving)?

Hi @dw1305

Thanks, Darrel - that's the one! Have you ever seen this book? Is it worth the price tag?

JPC

I have the previous edition of the book, I like it. Loads of information and pictures of plants in their natural habitat and in an aquarium. There are also tables about light requirements, temperature tolerance etc. Got the book second hand as an ex-library book, so for a nice price. I saw Kristel Kasselmann last year at Vivarium, a friendly person and a great lecture.

Hi @dw1305

Thanks, Darrel - that's the one! Have you ever seen this book? Is it worth the price tag?

JPC
I think you would like it; there's a lot of in-depth and scientific content which wouldn't appeal to everyone but my impression of you is that you would love it.
There's a review here;
Book review
that might help you decide whether it's worth the price to you. It's rare and sought-after, so if you buy a copy and aren't impressed you could probably sell it for what you paid.
If you can read German, the German edition is quite a bit cheaper, possibly less rare. About £45, so still not really cheap. :)
eg; Amazon
While looking into this, I found she's written a smaller book which is very affordable, but apparently only available in German. This one is £7.79, so I ordered one, - I love books. :)
I'll let you know what it's like next week.
Paperback

Hi @sparkyweasel

You are very kind - thank you!

From the Book review on YouTube, I can see that this book is a cut above the rest. The quality of the photographs and the scientific detail is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I know no German - French and Latin were all that were taught in my school and that was more years ago than I care to remember!

So, thanks again. Looks like I'll be taking the plunge.

JPC :)

Hi @lilirose
I'm not sure what you mean by that- my plants, fish, and shrimp have been happy for the past year using AquaDur or SaltyShrimp along with occasional ferts for low-tech setups. Do you just mean that most people here are also dosing EI salts, or are you saying that I'm slowly killing my plants and livestock (all of which appear to be thriving)?

When aquarium-keepers use RO water, a lot of people (myself included) replenish the full complement of necessary minerals (electrolytes) removed by the reverse osmosis process. So, that may include sulphate, potassium and sodium, for example. Products that raise GH and KH will add calcium, magnesium and bicarbonate. But, that's why I said that your plant fertilizer may make up for any missing electrolytes dependent on which fertilizer you choose. As your plants and livestock are all obviously fine, you need not have any concerns. I made the comment above for information only, not to give you a fright! I try not to do that.

JPC

Last edited:
Back