• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 900 - Comeback Lockdown Tank :)

Many thanks :)

First time at 5 weeks, not every 3-4 weeks.

Trimmed it pretty low and just replanted the trimmings in the middle of the exiting stems, making it fuller.
Although stems don't like me, they are OK but not as lush as I would like them, I think there is a lack of flow at the back of the tank, I have tried adjusting the filter flow around the tank, but might need some help at the back getting some flow between the stems. Time will tell.

This is my current formula, I have increased doses from 50ml per day to 60ml, might increase it to 70ml soon as the plant mass grows.
View attachment 153856

My major issue has been CO2, that as always been an issue for me, I think I am almost there now, been very slowing increasing it every 3-4 days to make sure the fish are OK. It's taking its time but at least I won't gas the fish!

Ask as many as you want, that's why I do the journals :) learn and share ups and downs! ;)

Is that po4 figure correct? If so i've been massively under dosing. Always assumed 3-5ppm po4 was good unless im interpreting it wrong.....:confused:

Is that po4 figure correct? If so i've been massively under dosing. Always assumed 3-5ppm po4 was good unless im interpreting it wrong.....:confused:
Well spotted, actually it should read 8 grams which will give you 4.27ppm! looks like I place 25g on two cells rather than just on the KNO3 :/ I will correct it not to confuse! cheers

Well spotted, actually it should read 8 grams which will give you 4.27ppm! looks like I place 25g on two cells rather than just on the KNO3 :/ I will correct it not to confuse! cheers
I better change my ferts too, just changed over using your formula. Any disadvantages to overdosing?

I better change my ferts too, just changed over using your formula. Any disadvantages to overdosing?
Not really, I am pretty sure I added that on the last make , for the plants its pretty safe, it can be toxic to fish but not in these levels!

@Sammy Islam @SRP3006 that got my puzzled and I had a look at my notes that I make for each change in the fertilizer quantities, and there is a reason for the increase after all, I increase Phosphates as my stems were not doing that great and also had some green spot algae on my anubias which both could be a lack of Phosphate, and since increasing Phosphates doesn't do any harm to the plants I went for it, and I am on week 3 of my new batch of ferts and those two issues have improved considerably.

@Sammy Islam @SRP3006 that got my puzzled and I had a look at my notes that I make for each change in the fertilizer quantities, and there is a reason for the increase after all, I increase Phosphates as my stems were not doing that great and also had some green spot algae on my anubias which both could be a lack of Phosphate, and since increasing Phosphates doesn't do any harm to the plants I went for it, and I am on week 3 of my new batch of ferts and those two issues have improved considerably.
Thanks for clearing that up
I'm still very much learning about ferts and the signs of deficiencies and so on. Looking forward to getting a download of the fert calculator when it's available so I can play about with different options.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough i may have to up my po4 a bit and see if it helps. Was shocked and confused when i saw your po4 numbers considering we are use to numbers like 3-5ppm.;)

Wow. Stunning colours. The layout reminds me of your old Australian Rainbow aquascape.
Many thanks Gerard, I did consider the rainbows again (neon dwarf blue)! but went with something different, should have stuck to my original choice lol the barbs are a nightmare, uproot all my stems!

This poster is an imposter. I don't see any red cherry shrimp. What have you done with the real LD?
I have a tank just for them, still have the colony that you saw in my study nano going :oops: that was a very long time ago!!

Quick update, been adding plants to the outside of the aquarium also :)

IMG_20200912_190743_571.jpg

How the tank was looking before maintenance today:

IMG_20200915_204607_365.jpg

For the first time trimmed the hairgrass carpet, is it edible? LOL

IMG_20200919_214538_388.jpg

How the tank looks after the trim, also trimmed the stems at the back, those are still struggling! Stems might not be for me!!

IMG_20200919_214930_906.jpg

IMG_20200919_214603_618.jpg

The dwarf bolbits grows so fast! that will need some major prunning soon also!

IMG_20200919_170504_124.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Looks very nice. Random question but is the aquascaper sticker removeable?
Many thanks : ) It's just a clear sticker with the logo and yes can be removed.
Tank is looking great Paulo:thumbup:
Many thanks Steve :) still needs a lot of work to get it where I want, might need a few more crypts in the there, one of the species I brought it too small for mid ground.

How the tank looks after the trim, also trimmed the stems at the back, those are still struggling! Stems might not be for me!!

The reason for your problem with the stems is probably a combination of that light fixture and the low substrate height at the back. The 900E isn't that powerful and stems only really start to grow nicely when they reach the top third of the tank. You need to keep trimming them at around 1/3 until you get the density you want and then you let them grow up for a few weeks. Then you do one trim right below the point you want them to grow to, at around 2/3 of the height. Once the new growth has acess to light, it will be much healthier.

Looks great paulo and the plants around the tank really add to the aquarium and its beauty. I hope to do something similar eventually

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The reason for your problem with the stems is probably a combination of that light fixture and the low substrate height at the back. The 900E isn't that powerful and stems only really start to grow nicely when they reach the top third of the tank.
Thanks Nuno, the height of the substrate at the back is pretty high 14cm on the left then slopes down on the right-hand side to about 8-10cm. Behind the rocks its quite high, the substrate is only low in front of the rocks.

20200920_135418.jpg

I think the light is not that powerful and it doesn't help that the tank is 50cm deep, I did move the light quite far back to get more light on the stems, but not a huge improvement, I might get a new light soon, so we shall see. I did consider adding an 900S at the back and keep the 900E at the front.

You need to keep trimming them at around 1/3 until you get the density you want and then you let them grow up for a few weeks. Then you do one trim right below the point you want them to grow to, at around 2/3 of the height.
I have been trying that, the ludwigia does fine, but the Rotala is struggling. also my barbs are not helping they like to play in the middle of the stems and pull them out lol need to see if I can get the balance right.
Once the new growth has acess to light, it will be much healthier.
Indeed, once it gets to the top 3rd then they race and look a lot better, but that is short lived because then I have to cut them back lol

Looks great paulo and the plants around the tank really add to the aquarium and its beauty. I hope to do something similar eventually
Many thanks :) it's been a decade since I last did this so bit of a learning curve again, what has stumped me was the CO2. and I used to run 144w of T5 over my Rio 125, this 55w Twinstar doesn't cut it lol
Need to get some more crypts to the middle, to fill in that section nicely. Also looking at what other plants species I can mix in to add some more textures.

Indeed, once it gets to the top 3rd then they race and look a lot better, but that is short lived because then I have to cut them back lol

By then you need to reduce N and P to slow everything down and keep trimming always at the same spot. As for the substrate height, it's obviously not shallow in the back but it's not as high as I normally like it. 1/2 of the height of the tank is usually good enough for stems even with a light fixture that's a bit on the weaker side. I have two TS900E on my 90x45x45 and it helps a bit because I can place one right on top of the stems in the back. I'll be upgrading to a 90x60x45 in a month or so and hopefully the same setup will work as well as it does now.

By then you need to reduce N and P to slow everything down and keep trimming always at the same spot. As for the substrate height, it's obviously not shallow in the back but it's not as high as I normally like it. 1/2 of the height of the tank is usually good enough for stems even with a light fixture that's a bit on the weaker side. I have two TS900E on my 90x45x45 and it helps a bit because I can place one right on top of the stems in the back. I'll be upgrading to a 90x60x45 in a month or so and hopefully the same setup will work as well as it does now.
Many thanks Nuno, 1/2 the height is a little too much for my hardscape, I might just have to go with some lesser demanding stems, convert it all to ludwigia maybe, that seems to grow like a weed, I guess time will tell ;)
Great choice on 60 deep, opens up possibilities.

Thanks Nuno, the height of the substrate at the back is pretty high 14cm on the left then slopes down on the right-hand side to about 8-10cm. Behind the rocks its quite high, the substrate is only low in front of the rocks.

View attachment 154384

I think the light is not that powerful and it doesn't help that the tank is 50cm deep, I did move the light quite far back to get more light on the stems, but not a huge improvement, I might get a new light soon, so we shall see. I did consider adding an 900S at the back and keep the 900E at the front.

I have been trying that, the ludwigia does fine, but the Rotala is struggling. also my barbs are not helping they like to play in the middle of the stems and pull them out lol need to see if I can get the balance right.

Many thanks :) it's been a decade since I last did this so bit of a learning curve again, what has stumped me was the CO2. and I used to run 144w of T5 over my Rio 125, this 55w Twinstar doesn't cut it lol
Need to get some more crypts to the middle, to fill in that section nicely. Also looking at what other plants species I can mix in to add some more textures.

I am considering buying another twinstar light, theres one for sale in the sales section with metal legs the same as mine. The layout of my scape limits light as my two "mounds" are pretty high. I feel like if i add a light to the back just for the rotala they might grow better and more colourful. But i'm still fairly happy and realise adding more light will increase maintenance and possible algae

Back