• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fast growing stems

EA James

Hi all,

I know the addition of fast growing stem plants is always a good thing in helping balance out the tank and keeping algae at bay.
Is it the growth of the plant or the actual plant itself that helps this issue?
Basically I need some stems in my tank and was thinking of getting hold of some mother plants, if it’s the growth of the plant then obviously I won’t!
Does that make sense??!

Cheers 😁

Hi all,
Basically I need some stems in my tank and was thinking of getting hold of some mother plants, if it’s the growth of the plant then obviously I won’t!
The simple answer is that we just don't know, my guess is that it is the growth, because once you have a high plant mass it has a lot of growth (biomass increase) even if the individual plants aren't growing very quickly (if that makes sense).

Could you make use of Ceratopteris "cornuta"? You can often find the Tropica version <"in Pets@Home"> and it is a rampant grower which doesn't need to be planted. <"Hornwort"> (Ceratophyllum demersum) would also work, if you don't want a <"floating plant">? I love them, but I know not every-one is as keen on them.

cheers Darrel

Could you make use of Ceratopteris "cornuta"? You can often find the Tropica version <"in Pets@Home">
I'll give it a go mate! I've only ever been in a pets at home once to buy some tropica tabs other than that i try to avoid the place, I'll have a look online.
So do i just put them in the tank and let them float about?

I'd like/need some stems but every time i try with them the lower leaves drop off and the look stupid! I think this is a lighting issue??

Cheers

I believe the leaves dropping can be either light or CO2, which I realise isn't super helpful!

Seconding hornwort. I bundle up stems with a plant weight and use it for background in my little shrimp tank. I am also fond of my pearlweed, which does root in the substrate, but it's fairly fiddly to plant because the stems are so fine.

Back