• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae due to nutrient imbalance caused by 1 plant?

Arturosito

So here's the deal: I have a 25 gal tank with a very good 50w WRGB lamp, CO2 addition, RO water, 3 months old, and 14 ember tetras which I don't feed too much, in fact my syphon does not find much uneaten food in every cleaning. 6 hours of light per day.
I change 50% water weekly, and immediately add EI dosing to keep NO3 30 ppm. K-30 ppm. PO4 3.0 ppm

In about 3 days, even hair algae that I remove comes back, and I also have some bba algae on rocks. The hair algae is the main problem and it appears among my Utricularia Gramminifolia. The problem is not too out of control, my tank looks 70% "clean" to my objective, but it is giving me a headache.

Now, a known Spanish youtuber, has read and has proof that at least in his tank, Utricularia Gramminifolia causes nutrients imbalances which cause algae, because according to him, it consumes a crazy amount of PO4 so he has to add 0.6 ppm of it daily, that's about 4.2 ppm weekly.

I have no tests, but since my equipment and routines and fish load and everything seems fine, then I can't but wonder if this guy is correct and Utricularia is the source of my algae. All of my plants look healthy and algae don't grow on my rotalas, for instance. 70% of my scape is covered with Utricularia.

The video in Spanish:

What clean up crew do you have in the tank? Amanos, RCS or snails.

I have two high tech tanks and one gets hair algae, mainly on Eleocharis acicularis which is in both tanks, the other doesn't, but the later has Amanos, I am able to transfer the plants from the non Amano tank (as they are in pots) 24hrs later hair algae gone and transfer plants back.

I have 4 amanos and 2 cherries. I see them grazing on algae, but not making much of a difference. I was thinking about buying 20 new cherries.

So here's the deal: I have a 25 gal tank with a very good 50w WRGB lamp, CO2 addition, RO water, 3 months old, and 14 ember tetras which I don't feed too much, in fact my syphon does not find much uneaten food in every cleaning. 6 hours of light per day.
I change 50% water weekly, and immediately add EI dosing to keep NO3 30 ppm. K-30 ppm. PO4 3.0 ppm

In about 3 days, even hair algae that I remove comes back, and I also have some bba algae on rocks. The hair algae is the main problem and it appears among my Utricularia Gramminifolia. The problem is not too out of control, my tank looks 70% "clean" to my objective, but it is giving me a headache.

Now, a known Spanish youtuber, has read and has proof that at least in his tank, Utricularia Gramminifolia causes nutrients imbalances which cause algae, because according to him, it consumes a crazy amount of PO4 so he has to add 0.6 ppm of it daily, that's about 4.2 ppm weekly.
Hello,
Hair algae and BBA are classic symptoms of poor CO2. My advice is to concentrate on fixing this by reducing the lighting and ensuring that you have good injection rate, good timing of CO2 application and good flow/distribution.

The issue regarding "proof of nutrient depletion by UG" is neither relevant nor plausible. PO4 has nothing to do with hair or BBA.
Additionally, PO4 test kits are abysmally inaccurate, so if this is being used to determine the PO4 level in the tank then the method is inherently flawed. If the algae being observed was GSA, then that can indicate a PO4 shortfall, however, GSA is also CO2 related.

Pay attention to the CO2/flow/distribution dilemma in order to arrest your algae issues.
Read the symptoms in the tank and on the plants instead of depending on test kits, which typically only lead you astray.

Cheers,

Back