• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Schism reimagined...

haha! Yes indeed!

The ‘ratty as hell‘ ones didnt Come from us!

Maybe Tim wasting his money on eBay again?! 😂

ps. Yes very nice hardscape!
Don't worry they weren't from Aquarium Gardens ;)
It was a different vendor, the only place I found that stocked all the plants I needed. Serves me right though :arghh:
I feel like I've been unfaithful now. I'll definitely stick to AG in future...:p

Have you been going dry start Tim?
No I didn't Andrew, I thought about it but was a bit concerned it wouldn't do so well since the AS was banked so high at the back. But wishing I had now.

This scape has now been torn down anyway. I don't have the patience to nurse it through and Iwagumi isn't really for me. I was actually fairly ambivalent about it before I planted it. So it perhaps didn't get the attention it deserved.

That makes the third scape in a row that hasn't done very well, and which has left me scratching my head as to why after many years without problems. I think I've narrowed it down to the dry salts TNP+ fertz. It's the only thing all three scapes have in common.

We'll see, I'm already planning my next scape. I visited AG yesterday and it was a vivid reminder of what aquascaping is really all about. Hope I can get it right next time :rolleyes:

That makes the third scape in a row that hasn't done very well, and which has left me scratching my head as to why after many years without problems. I think I've narrowed it down to the dry salts TNP+ fertz. It's the only thing all three scapes have in common.
Maybe it's time for some new aquasoil?!?!
All the dry salts are new or you just think old?
We'll see, I'm already planning my next scape. I visited AG yesterday and it was a vivid reminder of what aquascaping is really all about. Hope I can get it right next time
Link it in here Tim, be interested to see the next chapter.

Well Tim you know how much I struggled with mine when I told you about it. Poor growth, fungus amongus all over the wood, BBA, an aquatic hell. Don’t give up just yet, we need your creativity around here.

Maybe it's time for some new aquasoil?!?!
You're right about that Andrew, have ditched the lot.
All the dry salts are new or you just think old?
Not old, just suspect. I'll probably end up ditching those as well. See how I get on next time; I'm going back to tried and trusted TNC.
Well Tim you know how much I struggled with mine when I told you about it. Poor growth, fungus amongus all over the wood, BBA, an aquatic hell. Don’t give up just yet, we need your creativity around here.
I do, it's a major bummer. I've never experienced anything like this run of misfortune before, must say it's been baffling and frustrating.
And thanks I'm not giving up just yet. I may have gotten a bit careless and complacent as well, so I'll try to go back to what I know has worked in the past.

It's kind of strange to say but there is something to consider with a failed scape Many first time scapers get dissalussioned about things not working out algae, poor plant growth and the like. :( When its explained that even everybody has failures for whatever reason. They sort of ? believe it or not so in a away this negative is a positive:oops: and keep on scaping:p

Thanks guys, your kind comments are really appreciated :)
And you're right, I guess it would have been easy to sweep it all under the carpet 😇
However, if it happens a forth time I'm setting up a goldfish bowl with plastic plants and multi-coloured gravel...🤪

Mc should recover even in bad shape, is your soil new?
No the soil was as old as the hills. But I know what you mean; it was recovering but taking its time. However, like I said above I'd kinda lost interest...

However, if it happens a forth time I'm setting up a goldfish bowl with plastic plants and multi-coloured gravel...🤪

Not even in jest Tim.

Looking forward to your next creation.

Just a thought it was a month from Andrew's initial question for a update. Maybe you're let things carry on a bit to long rather than intervene
Is there really something in the thinking some certain plants:( just dont thrive next to each other? I know some really good scapes updates IAPLC for one show plant changes? James Findleys updates often mentioned in the Green Machine James completly changes a certain plant for another? ?"For whatever reason "the term used.
Just my thought :)

Not even in jest Tim.
Looking forward to your next creation.
Thanks Geoff 👍
Is there really something in the thinking some certain plants:( just dont thrive next to each other?
I'm guessing that may have to do with allelopathy and phytosociology; perhaps still a contentious theory but it makes sense to me.
Maybe you're let things carry on a bit to long rather than intervene
Yes you're probably right, I just left it ticking away in the background. It would have done okay in the end I suppose, but I'd lost patience with it and interest, just like the other two before. I eventually get to that point with all my scapes successful or otherwise, and tend to tear them down on impulse; just sooner when they're not going so well.

Hi all,
Sorry to hear about your travails.
Not old, just suspect. I'll probably end up ditching those as well. See how I get on next time; I'm going back to tried and trusted TNC.
It is going to sound a bit of a left field suggestion, and would only work if you don't have livestock, but how about using <"Miracle Gro">? It would at least get past the possibility that it <"is the fertilisers">, without expending too much money.

cheers Darrel

That doesn't sound too left field Darrel. If it was still running I'd give it a go, but it's torn down now.
Back in the day I experimented with tomato fertiliser.

Back