• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal New project for me week off

Looks good mate. A lot of effort gone into that.
I like it a lot. When you put your liner in. Try and get as many creases out as you can.
They hide bad bacteria for the fish. Buy yourself a pond vac. For debris that falls to the bottom.
Fred

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So, all pond solutions have let me down, still no filter, but thought there’s no harm in cracking on!

d0db2c81d19d1a858163ac76e4a0e1ee.jpg

6c7b150981cfe36fe4f896a54062ad83.jpg

29e154f15c6daaf90f4ccef43d1491a8.jpg

8eb1246354d9b5af97e7358c4c416b9e.jpg

All filled, can hardly see any liner, and where you can I’ll be planting creeping Jenny.

Had a bit of a level issue with the barrow end, solved this by raising the bank level slightly and making a bit of a rockery at the far end.

2900 litres (don’t by time taken to fill 10L bucket and timed the fill.)

Pump is 8000 LPH so might be overkill but it’ll be clean!

Planted the back up with some grasses a Hosta and a lily. Got an acer and some other ferns in their way.

Over all I’m very happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good mate. The length of your garden . Massive. I would have had a lake with sharks in lol.

Looks good mate. The length of your garden . Massive. I would have had a lake with sharks in lol.

51 meters in total!

From house to the very end! We have a 11 meter long allotment at the end!

It’s taken some time, effort and money to get it where it is!

We bought the house from two elderly hoarders! It was a state!

101646d5ed65d7f9de6b81b4bae12cee.jpg

5e494e405e7bf1e84d93631981ffc1a1.jpg

b4eb8554649ecaba0f3d101733574657.jpg

3b474caed9cb67db2af57eeb86e04170.jpg

Looks good. Looking at them photos.
Makes my imagination kick in.
With a massive pond. You have a nice garden mate. Enjoy the pond.
Great hobby.
Fred

Bit of an update, still waiting on plants that I ordered a month ago, I understand things are a bit difficult at the moment but a month is a Bit of a joke!

Anyway!

58fef58fdbe0331d69e882a687a76dae.jpg

bfb22e09bf49c63f0a7f4f32f073e68b.jpg

415053988ebc2eda68825269e7df78e7.jpg

Still need to plug the gaps of the rocks with alpines and small ground cover plants. (Recommendations welcome)

Looks really neat, great job 👌

The lower growing campanulas are nice for softening the edges, plus they are full of flowers. I've not tried creeping thyme but heard it recommended if you have a dry sunny spot. It's great for bees.

I'd consider having a wider area for plants somewhere just to break the edge up a bit more from the grass and there are plenty of low growing geraniums and geums that would wor in that situation, adding some colour.

Hi all,
The lower growing campanulas
<"Campanula poscharskyana "> is the rampant growing one, it would be ideal because you could just mow it off in the lawn.
low growing geraniums and geums that would wor in that situation, adding some colour
<"Geum rivale"> would be another good one, and I really like <"Geranium sanguineum "Striatum">, which flowers a long time.
I've not tried creeping thyme
They tend to go under in our garden, Marjoram does better, and <"Origanum laevigatum is a cracker"> if it isn't too wet in the winter.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, /www.rhs.org.uk/plants/2964/campanula-poscharskyana/details']Campanula poscharskyana [/URL]"> is the rampant growing one, it would be ideal because you could just mow it off in the lawn.
cheers Darrel

Just ordered some of these along with other recommendations!

Thank you again Darrel!

Getting to the point where I need to start thinking about winter proofing my pond.

Reading up on line, like always, is a mass of contradiction. Turn off your pump, don’t turn off you pump, feed your fish, don’t feed your fish, remove your plants, leave your plants... and so on.

So I’ll ask some of you guys as I find this forum the best for honest advice!

The pond is 92cm deep (at the deep end) and it’s approx 4000L.

I have been fairly ignorant in keeping record of what plants I have. But there are reeds, grasses , lilies, mint and a few other sp, all in pots.

What would your advice be?

I’ll throw a few pictures below as an update although it’s past it’s prime. Was slack on updating this thread.

3ed85c8b88fb6d50afdaa95d0318867d.jpg

ec56e13398187507001ced79d6717712.jpg

9d5002cd21d87efdf26e241d47c10e1d.jpg

Thanks

Blimey, that lobelia has done well:)

With ponds it is down to personal choice. The idea behind switching off pumps is that you try to minimise the cooling of the water. If you pump water from the bottom of the pond and it returns via a waterfall then it may cool the water too much if it's really cold.

My pond has the pump switched off because the fish don't need it. When it's cold they lay near the bottom and slow their metabolism, so pollution isn't a problem. They don't get fed from the end of October (or sooner if it's cold) till the water stays over about 10c. Some feed their fish but change foods to one that's more easily digestible. All I really do is make sure the water doesn't freeze over.
My pond is over 4ft deep and some of the goldfish are over 20 years old now.

Blimey, that lobelia has done well:)

With ponds it is down to personal choice. The idea behind switching off pumps is that you try to minimise the cooling of the water. If you pump water from the bottom of the pond and it returns via a waterfall then it may cool the water too much if it's really cold.

My pond has the pump switched off because the fish don't need it. When it's cold they lay near the bottom and slow their metabolism, so pollution isn't a problem. They don't get fed from the end of October (or sooner if it's cold) till the water stays over about 10c. Some feed their fish but change foods to one that's more easily digestible. All I really do is make sure the water doesn't freeze over.
My pond is over 4ft deep and some of the goldfish are over 20 years old now.

Thanks mort!

I presume by doing that you remove the pump and any water to prevent stagnation and pipes freezing up?

Am I daft to consider covering the pond with insulation cold frame material?

The lobelia is pretty much 6” tall. It was beautiful at its prime! Will be adding more next year. Will do my research but I’m guessing I could split the root ball to get two plants...

Back