• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant I.D

Monkfish

I have asked this on a couple of Facebook groups but can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

I was given it with some other plants by my brother and he had it planned in the substrate. It looks healthy and the root system doesn’t feel or look rotten.

People on Facebook think it is either a crypt, an anubias gracilis or some other kind of bulb plant.

I just want to find out so I can figure out where to plant/wedge it haha.

fe68d0eb5f744f48ed281dcaa6940424.jpg

3DDC0779-F60D-4131-BB8C-B27C1ADC0A70.jpeg 4AF5B057-C2CB-4085-A1A0-C053DB29BFA5.jpeg

Hi all,
think it is either a crypt..........
My guess is that it is a Cryptocoryne, but I've never seen one with a tuber like that. There are semi-aquatic aroids with sizeable tubers (like Colocasia), so I don't see why a Cryptocoryne, from seasonally wet conditions, couldn't form that sort of structure.

@Mick.Dk is the most likely person to know.

cheers Darrel

I do not think you have an Anubias there, and defenitely not A. gracilis.
I'm pretty sure, you have Taro (=Colocasia esculenta) or a very similar species. Do a quick Google search on Colocasia esculenta root, and you will probaply see same root structure. The sap of Taro cause allergic reactions to many people, by the way. I used to grow Taro at a Zoo, where I was employed earlier. They grow, standing in water.

Hi all,
The crypt I find that looks similar is a Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
I've <"got that one"> (or the very similar C. moehlmannii), similar leaf, but it doesn't have a tuber.

cryptocoryne_pon022_zps7813bf63-jpg-jpg.jpg
I'm pretty sure, you have Taro (=Colocasia esculenta) or a very similar species.
That would be why the tuber looks like a Colocasia then.

cheers Darrel

Thank you both for the replies.

I got it from my brothers tank, he can’t remember what it is, but it was a Tropica plant from Pets at Home. Would they sell Taro?

:D:D:D No, Tropica does not sell Taro ;).
Tropica does not have anything on stock-list, with that root-structure, so I honestly think there must be another source for this plant.
The closest resemblance would defenitely be the Anubias gracilis, but it never ever grow that kind of tuberous roots.
Taro does encredible amounts of those, falling off and spreading everywhere. Taro is actually almost impossible to get completely rid off.
I have grown quite a lot of various forms of Taro, for show in my former job.......... and sorry to say, but this little bugger really look like a Taro.

I guess I won’t be putting it in my tank then. Might chuck it in the pond and see how it gets on! Haha

Back