• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Placement of Maxspect Jump Gyre or wavemaker

strat100

I am thinking of getting a Maxspect jump gyre for my 120 x 50 x 50 aquarium with the overflow on one the side walls but i cant get my head around where i would place it, idealy it would go were the overflow is but for obvious reasons it cant. I dont want the gyre facing the overflow because the waves or flow will cause havoc with the herbie drain, as i found out when i tried a lot of flow through it when testing, it needs a smooth flow into the overflow. The smallest Jump gyre doesnt fit at the side of the overflow either :(.Maybe a wavemaker will be a better bet.
Want this tank to be a nature/jungle tank so guessing i am going to need some extra flow as the output from the 3000ltr is not going to give me enough flow throughout the tank.
20201014_120651.jpg

You'd probably be better with one of the small stream flow style power heads, like this:

KoraliaNano1.jpg

Then you can place it anywhere you like, and adjust the direction of flow as you need to for best distribution. It'll also be small enough to hide behind hardscape or plants.

The plan was for it to be packed with epiphytes on a massive piece of wood i have and that would impact on flow plus i was worried about circulation underneath the overflow and to its side. This is the wood roughly put in.
20201013_201239.jpg

You could place one of those stream pumps in the top right rear corner, angled down towards the front glass, so that it direct water under that right hand branch. That should ensure water is circulated along the front and towards the underside of the overflow.

Yes i agree with you but i really wanted one of the new maxspect jumps and only a little bit dearer than a wavemaker:(

Yes i agree with you but i really wanted one of the new maxspect jumps and only a little bit dearer than a wavemaker:(

Lol tail wagging the dog?

Fair enough though, I know precisely what its like having 'kit lust'.

The only place I could see the Maxspect Gyre going is the opposite end to the weir, pointing downwards to the base of the wood, to create a bit of a circular top to bottom circulation with your sump return - it might be a bit of an eyesore though if that end of the tank is visible.

End of tank is my view from my sitting position..so thats a no no..... how about placing it underneath the overflow pointing upwards towards the middle.... that should leave the overflow input area quite calm or am i just trying to talk myself into buying one :angelic:

End of tank is my view from my sitting position..so thats a no no..... how about placing it underneath the overflow pointing upwards towards the middle.... that should leave the overflow input area quite calm or am i just trying to talk myself into buying one :angelic:

I can't see how that would work personally - but if you are so set on it, you'll just have to buy it and experiment.

No i dont think i will buy one as the placement is not what i want but i like the idea of a gyre over a wavemaker.

Back