• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Edible aquarium plants?

Two common aquatic plants that are edible are Limnophila aromatica (rice paddy herb) and hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian pennywort). The former has a basil lemon aroma that is popular in SE Asian cuisine, and the latter has a peppery taste. Both are fast grower, decorative and the trimmings can be added to salad green.

wow...now i'd never thought of that... but here in the west of ireland i often forage for seaweeds...its a beautiful thing to do and eat and also inspires the aquascaping...at source!
looking at the hardscape and softscape of local waterfalls and rivers and coastline is really what my hobby is...and then I clumsily attempt to replicate it at home!...getting hands dirty and boots in the soil...getting better slowly...looking closely....

I guess if we are to eat our aquatic plants we need to think carefully about fertilisation....

But what a fantastic notion...underwater microgreens....its a brilliant idea...
watercress?

It’s a good source of info if one needs to survive in the wilderness, but I won’t eat duck weed, vals, water lettuce, Hornwort and most plants in the list under normal circumstances.

A few plants in the list I’ve eaten and love are water cress, aquatic mint and lotus, but they are pond plants not suitable for aquarium. Off the list is water spinach, along with lotus roots and seeds, are commonly served in Chinese restaurant I love to eat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_aquatica

I love the aroma of Limnophila aromatica which I used to grow it in my tank but didn’t make it. I may try its relative Limnophila hippuridoides which is equally aromatic but more ornamental. I used to grow Brazilian pennywort and tried it but didnt like the grassy taste. I’ve never had lemon Bacopa and wonder if it taste good.

It’s good to grow stem plants and harvest the trimmings to double as salad herb.

Back