• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

climacium dendroides

john arnold

Hi
Anyone know if I can buy some of this,?only seen it for sale on USA, it's a really nice tree ln Iike moss

Hi all,
Anyone know if I can buy some of this,?
It grows quite widely in the W. UK. I've seen it along the By brook east of Bath, encrusted with limestone, so I assume it likes hard water. Next time I'm out and about I'll try and collect some, but it isn't really an aquatic moss, more one of damp places which are occasionally flooded.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

It grows quite widely in the W. UK. I've seen it along the By brook east of Bath, encrusted with limestone, so I assume it likes hard water. Next time I'm out and about I'll try and collect some, but it isn't really an aquatic moss, more one of damp places which are occasionally flooded.

cheers Darrel
I knew someone would know about it, yeah it's for a terrarium as I have more terrariums than aquariums at moment, would love to get hold of some,

Thanks

Hi all,
yeah it's for a terrarium
That makes things a bit easier, there are another couple of common mosses that are tree like, although possibly not quite impressive as <"C. dendroides">.

You can collect <"Thuidium tamariscinum"> from pretty much every wood in the UK and <"Thamnobryum alopecurum"> (which is very Climacium like) is common by streams etc. on the limestone, which makes me think that I may have misidentified the plant near the By Brook (it is Thamnobryum not Climacium).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

That makes things a bit easier, there are another couple of common mosses that are tree like, although possibly not quite impressive as <"C. dendroides">.

You can collect <"Thuidium tamariscinum"> from pretty much every wood in the UK and <"Thamnobryum alopecurum"> (which is very Climacium like) is common by streams etc. on the limestone, which makes me think that I may have misidentified the plant near the By Brook (it is Thamnobryum not Climacium).

cheers Darrel
Wow, im at Lynton/lynmouth this weekend ill take a look hiking up the river
cheers

Hi all,

My guess would be that there will be plenty of interesting bryophytes, many of which would do for a terrarium. Go careful, because the weather forecast isn't great for SW England.

cheers Darrel
Hi
it was good, got some moss of which im sure looks like tree moss, and some rocks too, i left it so it didnt show my small foraging but im happy, nice place too the river hike is really nice, thanks for the tip of where to look

Back