• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Securing carpeting plants

Lunar Jetman

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for securing carpeting plants such as Hemianthus Callitrichoides to your substrate?

I know when starting off tanks you can put them in before adding water to help the roots take but what do you guys do for more established tanks where this is not an option?

I’m finding it breaking away and am having difficulty getting it to stay in my substrate. Any suggestions welcome.

It's best planted without water. In AS for instance, if you try with, the plants you've just planted tend to break loose and float away if disturbed, since the substrate is lighter and not so well consolidated in water.
With rootless in vitro culture plants I tend to plant a third or so in the soil. The plants soon develop more leaves. It sometimes helps if you angle the plants in to the flow.

It's best planted without water. In AS for instance, if you try with, the plants you've just planted tend to break loose and float away if disturbed, since the substrate is lighter and not so well consolidated in water.
With rootless in vitro culture plants I tend to plant a third or so in the soil. The plants soon develop more leaves. It sometimes helps if you angle the plants in to the flow.
Thanks for the reply. Obviously it’s better to put them in pre setup but I don’t have the luxury unfortunately since my tank is already up and running.

I was trying to think of some sort of staple type object to hold the plant in but don’t really think metal would work so thought I’d ask what others do/have done in this situation.

I just plant them really deep, sometimes about halfway in at a slight angle. Some of it will eventually die off below, but by then the upper parts have usually rooted and grown a bit already. I've only experienced aquasoil and glassgarten though, no experience with other soils that might be even lighter... You could also sprinkle some large grit/small pebbles on top and remove those after a while, or leave it (the plants will overgrow them soon enough). I do that when I have doubts about whether they will stay down.

I just plant them really deep, sometimes about halfway in at a slight angle. Some of it will eventually die off below, but by then the upper parts have usually rooted and grown a bit already. I've only experienced aquasoil and glassgarten though, no experience with other soils that might be even lighter... You could also sprinkle some large grit/small pebbles on top and remove those after a while, or leave it (the plants will overgrow them soon enough). I do that when I have doubts about whether they will stay down.
Fair enough, thanks. Didn’t want to push them in too deep but if the pegs don’t work that will be the only option.

Back