• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Opinions wanted on my first hardscape!

pinchez

20201029_211701.jpg

20201029_211642.jpg

This is my first attempt at an hardscape and it took me hours of constantly taking it down and re-building! I like the wood but still not sure of dragon stone on top of it, would love some feedback and thoughts?

I'll be using silica sand for substrate and will be planting easy grow plants and moss to begin with. BN Plec, Pea Puffer, Corys and Tetras will be going in.

Dragonstone looks great with the wood, like the arrangement. My only critique, and I'm an amateur too ;), is the white tipped piece of stone, in the mid ground, looks very precarious and for some reason keeps drawing my eye! I think with substrate in, though, it will look more established and bedded in.

Dragonstone looks great with the wood, like the arrangement. My only critique, and I'm an amateur too ;), is the white tipped piece of stone, in the mid ground, looks very precarious and for some reason keeps drawing my eye! I think with substrate in, though, it will look more established and bedded in.
Thanks

There's quite a hefty piece of branch going from bottom left to mid right and everything is very secure. I know what you mean about that white/grey on the middle stone but it kind of locks in to position with the branch and the stone beneath it, if i was to turn it around it wouldn't!

I agree with noodles, that it feels like its precarious even though it isnt, which keeps drawing attention. Will the soil be up to that level? Otherwise I'd recommend another rock underneath to ease that feeling a bit :) But I'm just an amateur as well.

I agree with noodles, that it feels like its precarious even though it isnt, which keeps drawing attention. Will the soil be up to that level? Otherwise I'd recommend another rock underneath to ease that feeling a bit :) But I'm just an amateur as well.

Thanks, I’ll pick up some more dragon stone and see if I can make it less distracting 👍

20201030_145506.jpg

20201030_145540.jpg

20201030_145527.jpg

Some pics I took an hour ago of different angles, tank is still a bit foggy.

Will be adding sand and plants soon.

A couple of thoughts.

- move the hardscape forward more, it’ll make your tank look deeper.
- move the rock from the back to the the front, wood coming over the rock.. At the moment it is knocking your room for stem plants and as soon as you put a fern on the wood you won’t see the stones.

Next time take photos of an empty tank for critique and opinion! Looks like you filled the tank with skim milk 🤣

I think the rock on top of the wood looks “placed” and unnatural. Maybe take one of those larger pieces in the back and break it up into smaller pieces as well for more variety of size instead of just BIG if that makes sense? The wood is a cool piece! Not sure if you have previously soaked it or what kind of wood it is, but be prepared for some unsightly fungus to appear on it.

To make your life miserable, at least for the time being, I have another idea:)
Take everything out and arrange the stones first on a steep slope towards the front glass then flip the wood upside down and place it on top of the rocks like it hugs them.
You will gain room in the back and like Siege is saying, it’ll look deeper as well. Leave room for cleaning the glass though...

20201031_162347.jpg

20201031_162425.jpg

IMG-20201031-WA0008.jpg
20201031_162459.jpg

I was up till late last night making adjustments to the hard scape which I'm pretty happy with but will be getting some smaller pieces to finish it off.

I had no choice but to move the fish over and thought i may as well put the plants in too.

Obviously it's far from finished but progress is being made! Off to the LFS tomorrow for more dragon stone, plants and moss 👍

20201102_153456.jpg

20201102_153511.jpg

20201102_153531.jpg

20201102_162528.jpg

Managed to get it planted up today, have a few more plants to add when they arrive.

Nothing is set in stone and things can be moved and changed, quite happy with the dragon stone outcrop to the right but not sure about the extra bits i added to the front of the main structure, it kind of looks like a wall!

Always open to suggestions 👍

Back