• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gurgling sump!

Abi Jones

I’ve just got the water going on my new used set up and it’s incredibly noisy! The noise is coming from where the water drains into the sump, there are a lot of big bubbles coming up there, can anyone help? The drain pump goes down a few inches below the water level. This is our first sump so idiot proof advice needed please!
The tank is 340 litres, return pump is Newa Jet 3000 turned down to lowest setting.
d3134b122ffb1ec4d275377502fd7a0b.jpg

63f2df32360e54ff4287a1f530e62db8.jpg

6ac91199d4453c46e24d82ca891fc6e2.jpg

b1d3b969499f2cc9feef8804b7c450ce.jpg

64461686fb7793ab8f2c23396e7b4734.jpg

264dabedd96cc6e97116cb1ea0f40e39.jpg

730590a6382d4024d55d53f53d083c46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why is the sump not where the bucket is? If it was a straight drop into the sump that may cut down a lot of the noise

When setting it up my husband read somewhere that having it that way would would be better for some reason. I’ll ask him to move it and do away with the bend and see if that makes a difference.

Moved the sump over so drain comes directly down, it’s still mega bubbly

I could be totally wrong by the way lol but it’s all the stuff I’d try. Also making sure the pipe to the sump is under water a couple inches Atleast to stop it sucking air. Have a search of you tube there are loads of vids about the same problem

I could be totally wrong by the way lol but it’s all the stuff I’d try. Also making sure the pipe to the sump is under water a couple inches Atleast to stop it sucking air. Have a search of you tube there are loads of vids about the same problem

Well I appreciate the help anyway and have watched some vids and they all agree with you! I think that could be the prob, the massive hole in the drain pipe at the top is just under the surface, and with water movement air’s getting in.

The crappy return pipe that came with it is super noisy too, I can see this thing turning into a money pit before I’ve even bought any fish!

Well I appreciate the help anyway and have watched some vids and they all agree with you! I think that could be the prob, the massive hole in the drain pipe at the top is just under the surface, and with water movement air’s getting in.

The reason they put that hole at the top is incase of an emergency it will help to break the syphon and stop the tank totally draining

That looks a right bodge I’d replace the whole thing or Atleast every thing above the twisty connector nut thing (can’t think of the name)

Right mess isn’t it! The guy I bought it from was quite proud of it when he was telling me how he made it himself to stop noise!

Back