• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate Maintenance

ruairimcq

Seedling
How do you maintain your aquasoil substrate?

I have used aquasoil but unlike my American cichlid tank I don't siphon or maintain the substrate. Keen to hear what you experts are doing if anything at all.

I'll probably use a tetra gravel cleaner since I like using it on my big tank. This is bound to help clean up the tank and reduce nitrates, right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Cheers.

I do not plan to dig the cleaning device into the substrate. I will just hover over the top to remove dirt. The tank has a built in filter which record the tank at the top water level so the removal of little bits of debris will never not happen as it does in my cichlid tank.

I've decided to remove all fish and put them in another tank so that I can do a new hardscape. After this I will be maintaining substrate in the manner described.

I'm struggling to get my red plants to colour up and I read somewhere that they will work best when nitrates are low.

Sound. I'm using JBL drop checker trip keep an eye on co2 and Fluval Plant Light.
Not sure why I can't get these babies to colour up.
a3838f7d15555117d03c18b3b7a164f2.jpg

Seriously? My tank is 440mm.
That is complete nightmare, I just bought this new a few weeks ago.

Seriously? My tank is 440mm.
That is complete nightmare, I just bought this new a few weeks ago.

What size tank and what model Fluval light is it?

I am sure there are people out there using these lights for higher light plants.

What size tank and what model Fluval light is it?

I am sure there are people out there using these lights for higher light plants.
The tank is an Aquaone Nano 60
It is 600mm in width and 440mm in height. 100 litres.

The light is Fluval Plant Spectrum in the photo

24c5159b2915b5e97c9fb0a415a83c6c.jpg

The tank is an Aquaone Nano 60
It is 600mm in width and 440mm in height. 100 litres.

The light is Fluval Plant Spectrum in the photo

24c5159b2915b5e97c9fb0a415a83c6c.jpg

Sound be fine for low/med light plants.

Many of the red plants do need high lighting as well as proper CO2 and ferts to really shine.

Cheers.
I've got proper co2. I'm gonna ask Maiden head if they will take that light back.

Glad to know because it was doing my head in.

This hobby is an endless money sink. I can't recall how many times I've spent money on an item and discovered weeks later (after using it of course) that it won't do what I wanted it to do and needs replaced with something more expensive.
Hi @lilirose

That's why you're right to question the accuracy/reliability of any advice given - particularly if what is being suggested is more expensive. One of the problems with the aquatics hobby is that not a lot of scientific research has been done on the home aquarium environment. Who would pay for the research to be done? For myself, I rely on aquaculture, horticulture and limnology studies. I find these a useful resource. And there's lots of information out there in the scientific world. Google Scholar is one such search engine but it's surprising how good other search engines can be. Personally, I like DuckDuckGo.

And, here's a big one - no two tanks are the same. Plus, there are so many variables at work.

JPC

Last edited:
Back