• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate Maintenance

Hi @lilirose

That's why you're right to question the accuracy/reliability of any advice given

I don't trust advice when it's "some guy on the Internet said" (and would not advise OP to trust us, or to return the light, without doing further research- I cringed when I saw he plans to return it based on the opinions of myself and one other person). I do, however, trust someone I'm talking to face-to-face who has a PAR meter in his hand. :)

It's a bit insulting to suggest that this hobby is only a money-sink for me personally because I don't research before I buy. I've heard many people say that this hobby is a money-sink, it's not just an opinion I formed because I'm not clever enough to research before buying. For the record, I bought Fluval lighting because, at the time, it was the best I could afford, not because I failed to research beforehand.

Hi all,
I've heard many people say that this hobby is a money-sink,
I think it can be, often because the vendors of certain products are less than honest about <"what their products do"> and <"how necessary they are">.
I don't trust advice when it's "some guy on the Internet said"
This is another issue, trying to sort out the <"wheat from chaff">. It hasn't always <"gone very well for me"> personally, and has led to me <"leaving" some forums">.

While we are on the subject of (my lack of) diplomacy, I'm pretty sure @jaypeecee didn't intend to imply you hadn't done your research, he was just suggesting that empirical data is difficult to come by for many products sold for Aquariums.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
While we are on the subject of (my lack of) diplomacy, I'm pretty sure @jaypeecee didn't intend to imply you hadn't done your research, he was just suggesting that empirical data is difficult to come by for many products sold for Aquariums.

Hi @dw1305 and @lilirose ,

I would never intentionally suggest or state that someone hadn't done their research. It's an individual's choice as to how much research they wish to do. With my scientific background, I'm prone to over-analyzing things - but I enjoy doing just that. It gives me a buzz! However, I must confess to being a bit confused here. I think there has been a misunderstanding. About a couple of months ago, I was 'talking' about nitrifying bacteria and their requirements for successful reproduction. I was asked by @lilirose to substantiate my statements and I had no problem with that. Except for the fact that I couldn't quickly lay my hands on the information requested. But, @dw1305 kindly provided the information requested. I concluded that @lilirose wanted evidence for the information I had provided. In other words, doing a spot of research. Music to my ears. :)

I do hope that clears the air.

JPC

Back