• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant advice for wet environments

Dtoor

Seedling
Hi,
I recently built a paludarium with water flowing down the back wall, pretty much the complete wall.
Im looking for advice on plants that I can use. The back is all lava rock, so I need something that doesn't need to be fully submerged in water, is OK with flowing water over its roots, doesn't really need to be stuck in soil.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201103_133145.jpg
    IMG_20201103_133145.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 278
Hi all,
I recently built a paludarium with water flowing down the back wall, pretty much the complete wall.
Very nice.

Any of the mosses, ferns or aroids (Anubias, Bucephalandra, <"Schismatoglottis">) you can buy will do. Most of the <"aquatic" plants"> you can buy are actually much <"happier emersed">.

Have a look at <"New plant Zongo"> for pictures of Anubias barteri and Bolbitis heudelotti in their natural habitat.

d76a6a6158abb92d4b0058bff2d696ef-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think there are probably some that will work, if they aren't constantly wet.

We have a few <"Dart Frog keepers"> @gex23? , so they maybe able to offer <"some suggestions"> based on practical experience.

I think <"Dartfrog UK"> usually have some orchids for sale.

cheers Darrel
Thanks again
I've been looking at blechnum obtusatum var obtusatum but can't seem to find it anywhere... Any suggestions?

Adiantum Capillus Veneris would be a nice addition...It's the smallest Adiantum around en specificaly likes to grow litophytic in the splash zone. Other available Adiantum as well but will outgrow the limited space. I've been looking around for that fern quite some time and indeed only could find it at Amazone.de (Germany).

Amazon product ASIN B00HSKS778
Asplenium trichomanes - also rather small and delicate fern that likes to grow that way. You might be able to find it locally in nature or in shops...

I've also seen Nephrolepis sp. growing very nice to erect walls in paludariums. Also a rather easy to obtain fern.

:)

In my case, it's ok planted in the trickle sump outdoor, and it gets regularly flooded during the summer months. And it suffers if it stays to dry for too long... I guess it's reasonably able to adapt and once used to wet it seems it doesn't like a drought for too long... But you could very well be correct, indoors light issues might play up... Yet I wasn't able to grow this fern indoors.

This also goes for adiantum, if kept wet it prefers sufficient light. :)

Back